Mission Control, where are you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You state that as if I'm only supposed to have one.
Hi,

So after having Lion running OK on my Mac Mini downstairs I bit the bullet and upgraded my MacBookPro. After changing all the things I don't like about the new version... vanishing scroll bars, "natural" scrolling.... mixed up trackpad gestures, etc... I tried to bring up mission control and it didn't work.

When I have it set to show dashboard as a desktop I can four-finger swipe to the left to get to it... but if I four finger swipe to the top or click mission control in the dock, my desktop flashes dark for a split second and then... nothing. If I'm over in the dashboard as a desktop, and four finger swipe up it just flashes to the main desktop with no animation.

When I switch to guest user from my user account I can bring it up. but I can not bring it up on my main user account.

I've tried uninstalling ASM(which I now can not get to turn back on, even though it was working before I uninstalled it), uninstalling TotalFinder, I've disabled unsanity's applicaiton enhancer, Fruit Menu, and Xsounds given that I don't think they currently work under Lion anyway, closed mail unread menu, quit ejector menu... just all the weird little add-on stuff I have that isn't installed on the Mini, but none of that did anything to get Mission Control working...

Honestly I don't see myself using Mission control much... I prefer having the dashboard load up ontop of the desktop, I don't care for the idea of fullscreening applications and I just find the idea of multiple desktops without multiple monitors to be confusing... but I find the idea of something that is supposed to work not working irritating, and who knows maybe I could get used to it.

Has anyone had this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've tried uninstalling ASM(which I now can not get to turn back on, even though it was working before I uninstalled it), uninstalling TotalFinder, I've disabled unsanity's applicaiton enhancer, Fruit Menu, and Xsounds given that I don't think they currently work under Lion anyway, closed mail unread menu, quit ejector menu... just all the weird little add-on stuff I have that isn't installed on the Mini, but none of that did anything to get Mission Control working...

To be honest, any of those things could have screwed up your install since they're all system-level hacks. Unless they're 100% Lion compatible (unlikely), you should have followed the uninstall instructions prior to upgrading to Lion.

You should check the manufacturers websites for Lion compatible versions first.

OP
Rockin' Kat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I've gone and uninstalled all the crap. Now I have a new bit of fun.

I rebooted to the recover disk which the installer shoves into the partition map on the hard disk. I load the OS installer figuring I can give installing on top of the current install a try. it just sits there forever trying to verify with Apple that I can install on this computer.

Even if I want to start over completely... I don't appear to have the option to do that on my own.

I've been using Macs since 1992. I've owned my own Mac since 1995. I've been using Mac OS X since it's day 1 launch and I have never run into something like this during an update. Ever. Nore have I ever been so put off by interface changes like this.

I'm not going to say what I really want to say right now because it's very vulgar, full of despair, and ultimately useless.

At any rate, I'll get over it and move on and I'll probably have to do something stupid like reinstall Snow Leopard just to get started over... if that happens, well... I probably won't bother reinstalling Lion until something I need won't run without it.

[edit]Narf... actually if it works ok in Guest, I could probably just make a new account and delete this one... I am such a drama queen sometimes... That still doesn't leave me with any idea how to fix it so I have the ability to use the recovery disk to do a complete reinstall if I ever need it since it does that weird hang up thing though.[/edit]

OP
Rockin' Kat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well... just gonna edit this double post rather than making a new one... this post dated 7PM Jul 28th pst..

So I somehow got it to do a reinstall on a second try... don't know what the hang up was with it last time... Still my user account has the stupid issue... but while I was at work I thought of an easy(yeah right, sure....) way to move to a new account without losing anything that really matters...

I'll just make a new account, and copy all the important application support files over from the old account's library folder to the new one's library folder... stuff like Mail, FireFox, ... graphic converter... hopefully none of my shareware applications lose their registration statuses... but feh, if it happens it happens. :-/

What a pita, but it's no end of the world just very very VERY annoying.

[edited again to add some emphasis on irritation and to poke fun at the idea that anything is ever "easy".. pfff.. I have now made it so the new account refuses to open itunes.]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.