total crash snow leopard 10.6.1

Reaction score
ok, i bought a refurbished macbook pro im guessing from e-bay.. timmostlymacs as a matter of fact. Anyway, it froze up, so i manually pressed and held the power button until it turned off, then when i go to turn it back on, all i get is a blue screen... ***? It makes the startup sound, but nothing besides the blue screen.. didnt spill anything or nothing! PLEASE help as i just paid 400 bux for this thing and now it wont do anything. It worked flawlessly for a week before this happened...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
ok, i bought a refurbished macbook pro im guessing from e-bay.. timmostlymacs as a matter of fact. Anyway, it froze up, so i manually pressed and held the power button until it turned off, then when i go to turn it back on, all i get is a blue screen... ***? It makes the startup sound, but nothing besides the blue screen.. didnt spill anything or nothing! PLEASE help as i just paid 400 bux for this thing and now it wont do anything. It worked flawlessly for a week before this happened...

Mac OS X 10.6 Help: If you see a blue screen at startup

OP
C
Reaction score
thank you Soooooooo much dude! I just have to figure out how to start up in safe mode now! lol

OP
C
Reaction score
oh, and im so sorry to keep bugging you, but how do i start up in safe mode? cuz I didnt get ANY discs when i bought the computer

OP
C
Reaction score
Safe boot snow leopard 10.6.1

I'm trying to start up in safemode and I was just wondering how long I have to hold the shift key down? I mean I don't want tO b pressing the key fOr 10 mins to just find out I timed it wrong with the start up tone thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm trying to start up in safemode and I was just wondering how long I have to hold the shift key down? I mean I don't want tO b pressing the key fOr 10 mins to just find out I timed it wrong with the start up tone thanks

It shouldn't be terribly long. As for knowing WHEN to release it… from the link provided:
Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

OP
C
Reaction score
ok, im trying this guys, and it is not working, at all! I have held it upwards of 5 min.s and still nothing. I tried before the tone, after the tone during the tone, i even thought it may have been that particular key so i tried it using the other key. still nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, im trying this guys, and it is not working, at all! I have held it upwards of 5 min.s and still nothing. I tried before the tone, after the tone during the tone, i even thought it may have been that particular key so i tried it using the other key. still nothing.

5 minutes is definitely unreasonable. Your drive may be toast, or you have other hardware issues preventing the drive from booting up. Unfortunately, lacking an install disc to run the Apple Hardware Test (available ONLY on the OEM disc that originally came with that Mac) or to run Disk Utility (from any retail or OEM install disc compatible with your Mac), there's nothing to be done until you get an install disc. Well you could try ordering DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro and have the software delivered on disc. You can then boot from their disk and, with DW, test and possibly repair the drive. With TTP, you can do more testing of the hardware in general. But those are 100 bucks and won't be of help if your hardware is toast.

OP
C
Reaction score
well. although i am very dissapointed with my macbook, i am very pleased with this site! I will spread the word in my community and will b back here after I get my new mac book. thanks alot everyone, especially lifeisabeach and so is my macbook, lol.

OP
C
Reaction score
Products

If this is the case, what parts do I need to buy? And is there any tutorials that could help me install the said products.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First up get back to the seller and complain, with eBay and PayPal if you used that. Do a Google for the model MacBook service manual. Cost a couple of bucks but really worthwhile.

OP
C
Reaction score
well, thanks for the info but now when i flip it open it has a ? in a box.... Amy thoughts or info? thanks alot guys and I have complained top the seller he wont respond im going to ebau after this then to pay pal

OP
C
Reaction score
I forgot to add I have no spinning wheel. I did get A ? One time but besides that it has just been a plain blue screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The ? mark means that the system cannot find a bootable OS on your drive. This can mean one of three things:

• The hard drive has crashed and "simply" needs replacement.
  • The OS on the drive has become corrupt and "simply" needs to be reinstalled.
  • A component on the motherboard has gone bad (like the SATA controller) and is no longer able to access the hard drive. Resolution means replacing the motherboard.
  • The cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard or perhaps the power supply cable, is loose or otherwise faulty.

Unfortunately, lacking an OS install disc, you simply have no way to test for any of these things (except for the cabling… you can always double-check to ensure the drive is connected properly and securely). I'm inclined to agree with Harry… seek support from the seller, pursue resolution via eBay if that fails. This is assuming that you bought the Mac with an understanding that it would be fit for use. If he was very specific that it "may" not have been fit, or sold "as is" or "at your risk", then you may have no recourse.

As a side tip… if you buy used or refurb in the future, always try to look for one that will come with the OEM install discs that originally shipped with that Mac, but definitely never settle for one with no install disc at all. The OEM ones can be ordered directly from Apple for a nominal fee if need be. You want those for the Apple Hardware Test that comes on it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well ol dude is being pretty cool with me and is gonna give me an exchange I just have to pay shipping both ways which isn't to terribly expensive. So I guess I will just have to play around on my IPod till I get the new macbook

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.