New Macbook Air: Chrome Problem

Reaction score
Typing this as a first time Mac user, after receiving my 2011 Air in the mail i've started setting it up and have encountered my first (of many i'm sure) snag in making the switch from PC; i'm trying to download an instal chrome via safari and cannot for the life of me get it to work.

I follow every step correctly right to where it says thanks for downloading chrome etc, but cannot locate it in my apps folder or anywhere on my laptop (using the finder application). I've literally only used the laptop for a couple of hours; is there something I need to set up before it allows me to download programs?

I am quite tech capable but this by far has to be an all time low; not be able to instal freaking google chrome on my computer, new apple user or not!

Apologies in advance as I'm sure this is an ultimate noob no-brainer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
It's likely been downloaded to your "Downloads" folder. If you open a Finder window (usually a blueish box shaped icon with a Picasso looking face on it on your dock), you should get a file management window that opens on your desktop and has some names of locations along the left side of it. Click once on the item that has your username. It will show you the folders in your home directory in the main area of that window. One of them should be your Downloads folder. Double click on it to open it and you should see the googlechrome.dmg file in there.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply mate,

I tried what you said with no luck, the only file that appears in the downloads folder is an 'about downloads' PDF; which i've read with no help either. I've also tried re-downloading chrome again with no luck.

In your reply you mentioned that when in finder there will be a folder with my name on it; I cannot locate that, although I could locate the downloads folder. Maybe there's a problem with that?

OP
R
Reaction score
Problem solved! I just restarted my computer and tried the download again, this time it worked. No idea why it wasn't working correctly whilst on my first start-up, but all good now.

cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.