mail question

Reaction score
new user to mac, and my question is in regards to the email. how can I increase the size of the email screen?.... the type is pretty small, and old eyes, don't work well together.... I have found to enlarge web pages is command and the + sign, and that works great, but it don't work with email other than opening up the body of the message. can assistance. someone at Best Buy indicated downloading Thunderbird and using it, that it is a better email client than the mac mail?... any thoughts?....tks from a new user. Dennis

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of Mail are you using and which version of OS X are you running on your Mac? The fonts can be increased in Mail by opening Mail preferences and clicking on "Fonts and Colors". Choose a larger font. Thunderbird is a very nice program for mail and news plus it's free. Download from here.

C

chas_m

Thunderbird is a nice cross-platform client, but I could not say it was better than Apple's own program. IME, it's mainly used by people who also have a PC and use it there. For those people, it's nice to have one consistent email interface to deal with on both platforms.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2020 iMac; 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 processor; 32GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5500 XT; 2 TB SSD
new user to mac, and my question is in regards to the email. how can I increase the size of the email screen?.... the type is pretty small, and old eyes, don't work well together.... I have found to enlarge web pages is command and the + sign, and that works great, but it don't work with email other than opening up the body of the message. can assistance. someone at Best Buy indicated downloading Thunderbird and using it, that it is a better email client than the mac mail?... any thoughts?....tks from a new user. Dennis

To increase the size of the text in emails you can customize the toolbar to include two buttons to do this (on the menu select View→Customize Toolbar and drag the small capital A and large capital A buttons onto the toolbar). When you want to increase the size of the text in an email than just press the larger of the two A's as many times as you need to comfortably read the text - to decrease text size press the smaller A.

Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.