Anti Virus

Reaction score
Hey guys I just bought my first MacBook Pro the other day and wondered what antivirus software you would recommend. Any information or advice would be appreciated. thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
You do not need any anti virus. But if it will make you feel any better there is Sophos. Which I have on standby.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Take note a lot of problems on these forums are directly related to some AV installed software.

C

chas_m

You don't need an anti-virus, as there are no Mac viruses.

However, if you feel you are the kind of person who would forward a suspicious email to Windows users without thinking about the risks, then you may want to employ an anti-virus program that can catch WINDOWS viruses before you spread them to your contacts. I'd suggest ClamX A/V for this, it's free and open-source. I would most certainly not spend any money -- ever -- on a fraudulent premise as a "Mac Anti-Virus" program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
How about we deal with his question instead of once again being overly literal? You may think you're educating, but you're honestly just being misleading. There is malware for the Mac, which is what the common person is really looking for when they say "virus". They don't know any better.

Why not just be honest instead of feeling the need to give one part of the story without the rest? There's a whole lot more you can be telling them than just "there are no viruses for the Mac." There's a lot more to that story.

I would point you to this post as a reminder:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...tivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html#post1087309

To the OP, read the FAQ linked in the first post and make your decision based off what you read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I think people OUGHT to know the difference between viruses and other kinds of malware. How many questions have we gotten here that go like "I must have a virus because suddenly x, y and z started happening"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think people OUGHT to know the difference between viruses and other kinds of malware. How many questions have we gotten here that go like "I must have a virus because suddenly x, y and z started happening"?

What they ought to know and what they do know are two different things. I would think hanging around here and looking at the questions we get about anything would show you that. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
And to further the point there are a lot of new users to computers. Not just switchers but actually people who have a Mac as there first computing experience. Some of those folks do not understand at all the difference between the two. I had the same question as a Windows user coming to Mac. But after doing my own research and thinking of my past usage and experience I determined that I did not need AV. Even people that know the difference between malware and a virus sometimes make the dubious mistake of contracting malware because they click too quickly. I call those folks "click happy." It takes experience to get good at discerning what is good, bad, spoofed etc.

My two cents worth.

Pat

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the info schweb. I read the sticky and I feel like I have a better understanding now. I can't begin to explain the joy I already have from switching to a Mac after being a PC user my entire life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
But wouldn't AV software mainly protect against viruses anyway? Isn't most malware successful when the user enables it to be somehow? I mean, no AV software can protect against a user clicking on an inappropriate website. A self-replicating and spreading virus is different and handled differently from user-installed malware; even more of reason to make the distinction. And it would probably be just as misleading to say that AV software will protect against all forms of malware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But wouldn't AV software mainly protect against viruses anyway? Isn't most malware successful when the user enables it to be somehow? I mean, no AV software can protect against a user clicking on an inappropriate website. A self-replicating and spreading virus is different and handled differently from user-installed malware; even more of reason to make the distinction. And it would probably be just as misleading to say that AV software will protect against all forms of malware.

You may want to do some research on how AV programs work, but yes, most also protect against known malware. They work by scanning the files you download to you machine, if they detect any type of malware, they'll alert you. You may want to look at Wikipedia or the software devs websites for more info.

They're really not just anti "virus", they're really anti malware, but the name has been around for decades just like iTunes isn't just 'tunes". ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.