Upgrading ram memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 27" 2.7Gmz Quad Core I5 with 12gig Ram
My Imac 27" desktop is upgradeable to 16gig. At the moment slots 1&2 have 2gig in each and am adding another 4 gig each to slots 3 & 4, making total gig 12.

My question is, should I put the 4gig modules in slots 1&2 or it doesn't matter about the configuration of the memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
It shouldn't matter. Though I am curious about this myself as I recently purchased 8gb of additional RAM as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5 2.66GHz - RAM 4GB - OS X Snow Leopard
Hello friends

My question is about upgrading memory as well, so I thought I'd ask in this thread, instead of starting a new thread. (I hope you don't mind thread author).

I have a 27" iMac that currently has 4Gb RAM. I want to upgrade it to 12Gb RAM.

I have a few questions regarding the matter.

1. Where do I buy the RAM from ?
  2. If obtained, can I install the RAM myself ?
  3. If, Yes to previous question, is it hard ? are there risks ?
  4. Will this effect my Apple Care ?

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank You.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ciwan,
1)You can buy the RAM from crucial or OWC, really up to you, I personally just bought a RAM upgrade from crucial.
2)Yes you can, there is actually a How-to on Crucial's website, as well as here:iMac: How to remove or install memory

3) It really shouldn't be too hard, but there is always the risk you could short something. Just follow the directions and you should be fine.

4)From everything I've read, the RAM is a user serviceable part, it should not void your apple care. However, those two particular RAM pieces, if something goes wrong with them, would not be covered under Apple Care. Everything else is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome ! Thank You StMFA

Which one of these is it that I need ? My iMac is not Intel Core i7. It is i5 !

Also, why is the memory cheap on Crucial's site, but way more expensive on Apple website (when customizing the iMac) ?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What year is your iMac? it should be listed under that tool. And the memory is cheap because A) its not from Apple, B) everything you buy from apple is always marked up
C) just the way of the beast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hehe OK Thank You StMFA, when I get home, I'll look to see which year my iMac comes from. I can't really recall, it was either late 2010, or early 2011.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP 16gb ram, 2.3 i7, 500 gb hd, 750 gb hd
I've used crucial ram for over a decade and have never once had a problem with them. They are cheap because there is no middle man and no Apple mark up. If you can use a screwdriver and plug in a lamp, you can add RAM to an iMac. I just added 8gb to my 2010 iMac. It took less than 5 minutes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.