Securing Mac Against Persistent Hacker

Reaction score
I've searched the forums and couldn't find the answer I was looking for....newbie here and hope someone might have some advice!

I have a pro hacker, bigtime Defcon guy, knows all the in and outs of security, pen testing, hacking password cracking etc. who consistently tries to access my computer. It started with a google redirect virus then a router hijack and dos attack then credit cards stolen etc. etc.

I'm now using Airport, WPA 2 and blocking my IP through an Open VPN service. Firewall is on in Stealth mode. I regularly use Clam Xav and I am using Safari as my browser with all of the secure settings.

Any advice on what else I can do to secure my mac? I know Macs are pretty touch to crack, but I am dealing with a persistent hacker with alot of knowledge.

Also wondering what you think of using Open VPN? Does it actually make you LESS secure or is it a good thing?

Any advice appreciated thanks!!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
What exactly is a Defcon guy? I would advise calling the police.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I think you're way overreacting, but hey, if you're that paranoid, just get off the net. That's the only way you'll really be safe. Otherwise, just don't do dumb things and you'll be as secure as you need to be.

OP
F
Reaction score
Defcon= hacking convention. He's all about hacking. Managed to get through to a mac, which has great security as far as I know. I've always had macs. This has already been reported and I have re-secured my system as well as I know how. I was just wondering if there were any other suggestions. Mostly, I was wondering about the security of using an OpenVpn.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.