Mac Mini 2,1 (mid 2007) HDD to SSD swap complexities

Reaction score
Just wondering if swapping the stock 160GB in the Mini to a SSD is the same process as if it were to be swapped with a larger faster HDD as far as hardware goes?

Will it require any other additional component to run an SSD instead of a standard HDD?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, not any more difficult than swapping out the hard drive for a larger one. No other components are required. The big difference of course is bang for your buck. An SSD is fast but any SSD of a decent size will cost about as much as your Mini is worth. I recommend a large 7200 RPM SATA drive instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'm running a 128GB Super Talent SSD from 2009 in my MacMini3,1. No issues, and an easy installation - toughest part is opening the case. I/O is awesome, applications launch instantly and all my data lives on an external Firewire RAID. Go for it.

OP
F
Reaction score
Well aware of the costs involved n don't personally see them as "worth" it as yet so for now just planning to settle on a 64GB SSD packed inside a Transcend external case.

From what i read the best thing to do is to copy the contents of the internal HDD onto the SSD externally before shoving it in so that once in its just a matter of a simple boot n you're up n running.

64GB should be enough to run Mac OS X Lion, iLife & iWork, Microsoft Office along with all the other basic apps. Plan to run everything else (media etc) off an external 1TB 7200 connected via either USB 2.0 or Firewire 400 (the later being the harder to find).

Most of that sound right to you lot?

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok i've got a couple SSD specific questions with the Mac Mini 2,1 in mind.

Does it matter if the SSD in question is a 1.8" or a 2.5" considering the Mac Mini by default housed a 2.5" HDD?

Will it work? Both aesthetically and operationally.

OP
F
Reaction score
Also between the two (both being 2.5") which would is a bet with Mac Mini's in mind;

Intel 320 Series - 40GB - $120
OCZ Vertex 2 - 60GB - $137
*prices considered as given above

Heard that OCZ don't go too well on Macs. But then will 40GB be enough even to run the most basic of tasks as mentioned two threads ago?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
My research is pointing to OWC drives as being the best bang for the buck. I'm looking at them as a replacement in my 2006 Intel iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.