Damage to iPod after first drop! :(

B

bth44

Ugh. I've been SO careful with my iPod photo with it so far, and today, I drop it for the first time onto a linoleum floor. When I picked it up off the ground, I saw where the white plastic panel and the chrome panel separated an 1/18 of an inch on the top of one side, near the screen. I clicked it back together and then checked out the damage. Everything's okay, except for the click wheel. The click wheel will work, but it "lags". Meaning, I'll scroll through the menu or I adjust the volume, and it will stop for a fraction of a second before continuing, despite my finger swirling around on it the entire time. I'm really grumpy about it. I was thinking about resetting the iPod, but that probably wouldn't help at all. And then I was thinking about taking it apart and seeing if something was amiss underneath, but that would do more damage. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
you have an Apple store nearby?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
bth44 said:
I was thinking about resetting the iPod, but that probably wouldn't help at all.

And you know this... how? :)

Reset the iPod and see if it fixes the problem. You won't hurt anything by doing it, and it will probably be the first thing an Apple service person will tell you to do.

If that doesn't fix it and you're still under warranty, call Apple support and explain the situation, or head over to an Apple Store if there's one nearby.

I'd recommend against attempting to open it up-- if you're under warranty that's the sure way of ending it.

OP
J

joeytomatoes

Apple says iPod nano flaw is limited : :
The iPod nano, has become the subject of criticism after some users complained that their iPod nano's LCD screen had cracked or become severely scratched for no apparent reason. Apple said its figures show the issue has affected less than 1/10 of 1% of the total iPod nano units that it has shipped over the last two and a half weeks.
"It is not a design issue !"
Customers with faulty iPod nano screens can call Apple [ 1-800-MY-APPLE ] to arrange for a free replacement unit, the company added.
Apple also responded to complaints that the iPod nano screens can easily scratch, but said there have been very few calls about the problem. "A few vocal customers are saying that their iPod nano is more susceptible to scratching than prior iPods. We have received very few calls from customers reporting this problem, and do not believe this is a widespread issue," Apple said.
The company added: "The iPod nano is made with the same high-quality polycarbonate plastic as the fourth-generation iPod. We suggest concerned customers use one of the iPod nano cases that are coming to market to protect the music player.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.