When will 4G iPod Touch drop in price?

Reaction score
Here's my dilemma:

I need to purchase a Touch for school, by August 29th. But the new 5G won't debut until September or later. So it looks like I'll be getting a 4G.

There's still a silver lining. The 4G might drop in price prior to the 5G launch, so Apple can move out the old units. I haven't paid attention to iPod Touch prices in the past. Does anyone know if the price is likely to drop, say mid-August?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Here's my dilemma:

I need to purchase a Touch for school, by August 29th. But the new 5G won't debut until September or later. So it looks like I'll be getting a 4G.

There's still a silver lining. The 4G might drop in price prior to the 5G launch, so Apple can move out the old units. I haven't paid attention to iPod Touch prices in the past. Does anyone know if the price is likely to drop, say mid-August?

The iPod touch has always trailed the iPhone by about 3 months. With the iPhone 5 expected in September, and considering that Apple would have all their manufacturing resources cranking out the iPhone 5 at this time, it's not likely that the iPod touch will see an update until November (in time for Christmas), if not later. It has no real competitor and the current model is a very competent device, so it's entirely possible that it won't see an update at all for some time to come.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Agreed with lifesabeach, but I'll go one further... it's rare that Apple discounts a product at all in advance of an updated model. What tends to happen is that when the new model launches, the old one is sold at a discount as though it were refurbished. They often offload them to wholesalers like Woot.com to diminish their inventory. So, I wouldn't expect any price drop until the new model is actually released.

OP
U
Reaction score
Okay, thanks to you both. That's too bad I won't be able to take advantage of a price drop, but at least I'm aware now.

OP
U
Reaction score
I've thought about getting the 3rd gen. refurbished. It's that retina display that makes me think I might want the 4th. And there's just a tiny savings between a new 4th gen and a refurbished 4g (like 15 bucks).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Once you've seen and used a retina display, you'll not want anything else again. Believe me… I've been moping for it since I got my wife the iPhone 4 last year. I'm just impatiently biding my time for the iPhone 5 now that my 3Gs is ready for replacement.

C

chas_m

Agreed with lifeisabeach, but I wasn't suggesting the 3rd gen. I was recommending a refurbished FOURTH generation (aka "Late 2010") iPod Touch, such as are at the refurb store even now as I type this (all three sizes, starting at $199 for the 16GB).

OP
U
Reaction score
Well, is there a benefit with ordering it from Apple, as opposed to Amazon? Because Apple's refurbished price is 259 and Amazon's (new) price is 275. I'm all about refurbished stuff, but it's only 16 bucks difference. But compared to a new one from the Apple store, the savings is $40 which isn't bad.

Those prices are for the 32gig.

C

chas_m

If they're both fourth-gen, and the reseller on Amazon is highly-rated, then I'd say buy with confidence from either source. Double-check to make sure the Amazon one includes the one-year warranty (Apple's does).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.