• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

OS X Lion Bug: Safari guzzling massive amounts of RAM

Reaction score
OS X Lion Bug: Safari guzzling massive amounts of RAM

safariwebcontent-cjr.jpg

After installing OS X Lion last week, one of the things I've noticed is that Safari tends to run away with enormous amounts of RAM over time. A subprocess called "Safari Web Content" will sometimes use over a gigabyte of RAM. Since my Mac maxes out at 4 GB, and since it's a rare day that I'm only using Safari and nothing else, having so much of my system's RAM gobbled up by one process was bogging everything down.

Safari Web Content is a sandboxed subprocess of Safari that runs all webpage rendering. If you've got several dozen tabs open at once, it might make sense for the subprocess to use up that much RAM; however, I was seeing huge amounts of RAM usage even with only three or four tabs open. Four webpages shouldn't be consuming over a gigabyte of RAM. Many people's knee-jerk reaction has been to blame Flash for the excessive memory consumption, but that's not the case here; Flash runs as its own separate process and has nothing to do with the "Safari Web Content" process or its runaway RAM usage.

A few people have recommended disabling any Safari extensions you may have running to reclaim a big chunk of the RAM used up by Safari Web Content. Whether it's a bug in Safari 5.1 or incompatibility with older extensions, the theory goes that one or more of the extensions I've been running was the cause for Safari's excessive RAM usage. Disabling all but a handful of my Safari extensions brought the Safari Web Content subprocess's RAM usage down from 1.06 GB or more down to a much more manageable 300 - 320 MB with five tabs opened, but over time usage climbed to over 600 MB again, so it's possible one of my enabled extensions is the culprit.

As I write this, it's been around ten minutes since I restarted Safari the last time. I have only three extensions running -- Better Facebook, Rapportive, and ClickToFlash -- and I've browsed about ten pages between three tabs since relaunching Safari. Already Safari Web Content has consumed nearly 300 MB of RAM.

A subsequent test with all extensions disabled has caused Safari Web Content to go from its initial 148 MB all the way up to 251 MB of RAM after browsing 39 webpages -- most of them on Wikipedia, which isn't exactly known for data-heavy content. This doesn't seem normal to me.

This bug definitely seems to have been introduced in OS X Lion or Safari 5.1, and hopefully it's one we'll see addressed in a forthcoming update.

OS X Lion Bug: Safari guzzling massive amounts of RAM originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Feels like vindication ;) - and it's a Safari bug - not a Lion bug.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Feels like vindication ;) - and it's a Safari bug - not a Lion bug.

Well the article doesn't really confirm anything, just one guy's observations. It still feels like it's some kind of extension/plugin issue, especially since not everyone is seeing the problem.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Well the article doesn't really confirm anything, just one guy's observations. It still feels like it's some kind of extension/plugin issue, especially since not everyone is seeing the problem.

Just running down the comments - it's clear that quite a few people are. I'm happy to see this as for a while there I thought I was the lone victim since you guys weren't seeing this. I only run the 1P extension and click-to-flash - so unless one of those are the culprits - which is certainly possible - I think Safari is a tad leaky. I'm sure it'll be remedied soon.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I had worse memory usage in Safai 5.0.5 under Snow Leopard. If I let it run with 3 tabs all day and night and woke up in the morning and checked, sometimes Safari was taking over 1GB RAM! Not Virtual either.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had worse memory usage in Safai 5.0.5 under Snow Leopard. If I let it run with 3 tabs all day and night and woke up in the morning and checked, sometimes Safari was taking over 1GB RAM! Not Virtual either.

1GB was normal operations for me as well, but never saw it get as high as it does now. It pretty much seemed to cap out at around 1GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

I've tested with all extensions disabled in Snow Leopard. Safari 5.1 itself is most definitely what has issues. That said, it would be interesting if the problem only presents itself on certain hardware configurations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Safari Web content = 887.7 MB Real Mem
Safari = 593.1 MB Real Mem

Only plug-in I have is Click to Flash.

Update: I decided to quit Safari and when I opened it again, my memory usage dropped drastically. Sitting now around 118MB and 88MB respectively.
Interestingly, Flash Player (Safari Internet plug-in) is now using more than everything else. 156MB

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is nothing new. Safari leaked memory in Snow Leopard and it looks like it continues to do so with the new version. It's possible some extensions are adding to the leakage but I believe Safari itself is the culprit. About the only thing you can do is restart Safari every so often to reduce the leakage, at least until Apple fixes it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Agree. This may be "new" bit Safari has had a memory issue for a while now.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I took this just a second ago. Safari may have had a leak previously - but it's interesting that I never saw it discussed until now. Maybe it was just one of those things that was understood by all already. As I said before - it always seemed to cap out around 1MB or so - at least for me - but with 5.1... even in the time it took me to upload this to photobucket - I'm now a little over 3GB with Safari. Probably time for a Safari restart.

bydefault2011-07-27at74950PM.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The reason you're likely seeing so much more than the rest of us is because you have the memory "to spare." It's still atrocious but I get the feeling that if I used Safari for a day, it wouldn't come close to 3GB (I see an experiment for tomorrow).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
But here's my point that I don't think it can really be said to be a universal issue and has to be tied to some kind of configuration. I've been running Safari 5.1 on my system for days. No restarts, no quits and here's what I'm seeing:

Safari%20Memory.png

I'm running these extensions as well as the Flash 11 plugin:

Extensions.png

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But here's my point that I don't think it can really be said to be a universal issue and has to be tied to some kind of configuration. I've been running Safari 5.1 on my system for days. No restarts, no quits and here's what I'm seeing:

Don't disagree at all - I definitely won't be surprised to find that the graphics glitch is hardware specific.

The reason you're likely seeing so much more than the rest of us is because you have the memory "to spare." It's still atrocious but I get the feeling that if I used Safari for a day, it wouldn't come close to 3GB (I see an experiment for tomorrow).

I'll send you links to all my usual spots on the web :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I've always had issues with Safari being a huge resources hog. Especially on older machines like my iMac G4. I only use Firefox or Camino because of it. :|

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have had Firefox grow and grow and use a LOT of Ram also.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Knowing what I do of you, I'm not sure I want to see what you do on the web. :p

See how I lob you a softball... :)

I have had Firefox grow and grow and use a LOT of Ram also.

Dennis - have you seen that with the latest version of FF? I'm curious. I don't use it enough to say - but definitely the older versions (pre-4) seemed to leak memory. I'm curious to know if that's been improved.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Dennis - have you seen that with the latest version of FF? I'm curious. I don't use it enough to say - but definitely the older versions (pre-4) seemed to leak memory. I'm curious to know if that's been improved.

I agree that FF3 had some bad leeks. I seem to remember 4 doing it but not as bad. Since updating to Lion I have not had the time to mess with FF5 I think it's at now. Will write back after trying FF5 later today.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha, thanks.

Well, I am doing the experiment today but I'm not seeing explosive growth although there has been a considerable uptake in memory consumption. I've gone from 67.1 MB when first opened to 693.2 MB over a four hour period. In that period, I haven't had much of a chance to use Safari but I have tried to navigate to random sites once in a while so as to partially simulate real world usage. I plan to use it a little more on my dinner break so we'll see what happens then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.