US vs UK MacBook Pro Purchase

Reaction score
Hi - being Scottish and therefore in dire need of some decent weather, we're planning a vacation in LA next month and at the same time, are considering replacing a stolen MacBook with a Pro version whilst in California.

Having checked online prices for the 15-inch 2.2 GHZ Sandy Bridge flavor, it appears that we could save over 500 GBP (that's roughly 830 bucks - shocking, I know) by making a purchase stateside. For the record the prices in USD are as follows: $2,199 vs $3,029.

My question is this: are there any downsides to owning a machine that is built for the US market but used exclusively in the UK? I'm expecting there will be voltage issues and sales tax implications amongst others so would much appreciate your input and/or solutions - thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THere will be no voltage issues, all modern macs come with a switchable power supply that detects the voltage and adapts accordingly. All you need is a US to UK plug adaptor, or you could buy a new UK adaptor off ebay - they are pretty cheap (,ake sure its an 80 watt type)

As for VAT, simply unpackage the mac and bring it back in your hand luggage, after all is a gift to yourself and not a business import for resale in the uk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1-OCZ SDD, iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPod Nano6G, MacBook Air 4.2
Just remember that the UK website includes vat, whilst the US site does not include state sates tax ;) ... and I think LA is around 8%

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2020 iMac; 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 processor; 32GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5500 XT; 2 TB SSD
Just remember that the UK website includes vat, whilst the US site does not include state sates tax ;) ... and I think LA is around 8%

Actually, the Apple US Online Store does include state sales tax if Apple has a presence in that state ( which is most states in the US).

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1-OCZ SDD, iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPod Nano6G, MacBook Air 4.2
that's strange because I just paid U$531 for an 16 gig iPad 2 listed as U$499 on the website ... and I bought it in Orlando (where Apple has a massive presence) ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Actually, the Apple US Online Store does include state sales tax if Apple has a presence in that state ( which is most states in the US).

Mark
Sales tax is only calculated at sale in the US. Mostly because it IS location based. This varies from VAT, where it's part of the posted price.

What this means, is that people who aren't used to sales tax need to be prepared for the price to go up at the point of sale (online or retail store)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses and for clarifying the position on VAT vs Sales Tax.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not a problem. The superdrive will play either and the region can be set up to 5 times.

Reaction score
Oh, actually, in all seriousness; you might need to change the localisation settings on AirPort if it doesn't auto-detect that it's receiving signals from British WiFi networks, but that's the only semi-significant issue I can think of...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.