Need setup help re: streaming on my LAN

Reaction score
If Im in the wrong section, please redirect me.

I have a harddrive with a large amount of media (audio and video). I want to basically connect this to everything I own.

Firstly, I want to connect it both to my WDTV and to my wireless network. Can I use some kind of hub to connect the hard drive to the network and to the WDTV, and if so, what kind/recommendations? Any problems with doing this, or both devices accessing the ahrd drive simultaneously? Same file simultaneously?

My next concern is about streaming music. Once I have the hard drive connected to my network (through airport extreme or other router {Suggestions??}), is there a way that I can stream music to my ipod/iphone (hooked up to a speaker dock)?
So that can be broken down into two questions - 1) can the iphone connect to my computer to stream through itunes (home sharing) and play the music through my ipod sound dock? 2) Can the iphone connect to the media on the networked hard drive so i dont need to have my computer on?

I really appreciate any assistance from anybody that has any advice, suggestions, or any kind of help. Thanks alot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.