Please help. New Mac OSX user with a question about BootCamp

Reaction score
Hello everybody! My name is Brian and I'm looking for some knowledge.
I'm 25 years old and just recently decided to brush up on my education while continuing my career. I purchased a MacBook Pro Dual-Core i7 with 8Gb ram.

My networking technology/security classes use windows programs and as they are resource intensive, I was told not to use a program such as parrelles.

With that being said, I opened up bootcamp to see what it was all about and somehow I got it to start downloading (bootcamp?) drivers and either asked for a CD or DVD (obviously r/w, right) I ask because I'm at work and want to pick up these discs on the way home. What exactly do I need?

Secondly, I Plan on running Windows 7 64bit on 250GB (maybe less) on a partioned space. Doable? I ask because I remember years ago I.e 2009 - people having problems with sound drivers on win7 64bit.

An additional information you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

I'm excited to be here and talk (s)Mac! :)

PS running osx lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Be sure you use Boot Camp to do the partitioning, and do have that disc with the drivers ready to go. Read through all the instructions thoroughly before starting. Windows 7 64-bit should work just fine for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i5 15" macbook pro, ipod touch 2G, i5 imac (work)
I put Windows 7 on my i5 macbook pro, you should have no problems. Bootcamp is already set up in OSX, ready to go....shouldn't have to download drivers. maybe it's an update(?). go through the bootcamp wizard, and it will ask you how much space you want to use for the windows (bootcamp) partition, then after formatting it will ask you for the windows install CD, and just follow the instructions. since it's two separate partitions, not one "embedded" in the other, you must restart your computer to switch between them. when booting up and the screen first lights up gray, hold down the option key until the choice between windows and macOS appears.

note that the drivers for your laptop's trackpad are not automatically installed with windows 7, so at first it will respond poorly, and tap-click and other features will be missing. there is a driver download (name escapes me, anyone else?) for windows that will get your trackpad working just as well as it does in macOSX. the first time you start up windows make sure to download all microsoft driver updates and things, and you're good to go!

you'll notice that windows makes your macbook run a LOT hotter than macOS does, but not to worry, it's just because that operating system isn't optimized for that laptop. it won't hurt it. but it might burn your legs if you're wearing shorts!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
All drivers are now included for the Track Pad. There is an update to download that makes some slight changes.

Heat - this is mostly because Win7 is not running on the Intel Video card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First suggestion go into Bootcamp Assistant and print off the instructions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.