Man... they really hosed up Safari/Webkit privacy settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
No matter how much I try, I can not completely clear out data stored in my system. Used to be that we could use the clear history function to clear everything out except usernames and passwords. Now, they have moved that to Reset Safari, but the function no longer works. After I "clear" cookies, cache, and website content, the sites still reflect that I have visit them before. When I visit Mac Forum for example after clearing out stuff, it still reflects that I have opened some threads on the site.

Huge step backwards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
No matter how much I try, I can not completely clear out data stored in my system. Used to be that we could use the clear history function to clear everything out except usernames and passwords. Now, they have moved that to Reset Safari, but the function no longer works. After I "clear" cookies, cache, and website content, the sites still reflect that I have visit them before. When I visit Mac Forum for example after clearing out stuff, it still reflects that I have opened some threads on the site.

Huge step backwards.

That's because we don't use cookies to track read status.

OP
WolfsBane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
That's because we don't use cookies to track read status.

Well since I'm apparently clearing out cookies, this is not the specific issue in this case. Problem is, cookies are not the only web content that I'm trying to clear out. Whatever the reason, the fact is that changes have been made to Safari/Webkit. And these changes no longer allows users to clear out cache, web content, cookies, and other web browser items like we used to. Something is being left in our systems, even after we use several methods to "clear" web content out.

Doubleclick, Fastclick, and the rest are not putting stuff in our computers out of the goodness of their hearts.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This is the second time that you've made a post regarding problems with Safari. Why not simply use another browser?

OP
WolfsBane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did. Went to Firefox immediately for all my browsing needs until they fix Safari/Webkit. Not as fast as Webkit, but I don't have a bunch of files being installed whether or not I want it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.