Export slideshow in iPhoto '11 - settings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Hello,

is there a tutorial anywhere on the vast number of quality-influencing options when exporting a slideshow in iPhoto as MPEG-4 movie? I'm pretty sure the most important setting here is the bitrate but I can't find any information as to which bitrate is appropriate for a given resolution...

C

chas_m

It depends on where that MPEG-4 file is going to end up. Do you want it to end up on a DVD? On a website? On an iPad?

When I make a slideshow in iPhoto and press the "export" button, this is what I get:

Not exactly a "vast" number of options, is it?

You must have gone straight on into the "custom" options, but without telling us where this is intended to go there's no reason available why you're fiddling with custom options in the first place.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
It depends on where that MPEG-4 file is going to end up. Do you want it to end up on a DVD? On a website? On an iPad?

You must have gone straight on into the "custom" options, but without telling us where this is intended to go there's no reason available why you're fiddling with custom options in the first place.

Yep, I went straight into the custom options. I want to have a HD video with either 720p or 1080p. ;)

C

chas_m

Sorry to start with the most basic questions, but: is your original video shot in 1080p (ie, 1920x1080)? If not, then you can't "create" an 1080p movie out of footage not shot in 1080p.

Second, you still haven't explained what the final media is for this HD movie. You can't burn an HD movie onto DVD, so how are you going to show it on anything other than your computer? Or is that the goal?

For the record, for 720p (1280x720) a bitrate of 6000 to 8000 should be fine. For 1080, I'd suggest 9500 or thereabouts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.