Can I install and run windows xp from a usb flash drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 08 Unibody Macbook Pro 15'', Hitachi 500gb 7k500, 8gb Ram - better than new
Can I install and run windows xp from a usb flash drive either on VM or otherwise. I need to be able to use Internet Explorer for work and don't really want xp on my MBP - also using the develop setting on safari won't work for this.

I know I can boot from usb because I can boot my backups from a usb enclosure.
Just wondering if anyone has any info on this thought.
Thanks all

Reaction score
XP on removable drives

No, you cannot installed Windows on removable drives. You have to install it to a fixed hard disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Microsoft's way of combating piracy by not allowing the operating system to be installed on external drives, thumb drives etc and not for s moment suggesting anything adverse kylekling personally.

Reaction score
Microsoft's way of combating piracy by not allowing the operating system to be installed on external drives, thumb drives etc and not for s moment suggesting anything adverse kylekling personally.
Oddly enough, it has been reported that one of the features of Windows 8 will be that you can supposedly create a bootable LiveUSB clone of your PC...

As to whether that actually will happen, I don't know...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Knowing Microsoft and how paranoid they are about piracy, it will likely be for repair purposes only and not a full install of Windows 8.

Reaction score
No, you cannot installed Windows on removable drives. You have to install it to a fixed hard disk.

In fact, there is a way to install windows( not really windows) on flash drive. Try to search something called WinPE, windows pre-installed environment(if i am not wrong with the name)
its just like you install linux on flash drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.