Lion Spotlight and Path

Reaction score
In SL when you hovered the mouse over a spotlight search result, it used to show you the path to that file. I can't see this on my installation of Lion.
Anyone seen this?

Reaction score
You can hold Command while mouseover the file on spotlight results. You will see the name of the file below its preview. It will alternate between the file status and its path.

OP
N
Reaction score
well spotted that man. Thanks

Just out of interested, where did find that info. It seems sometimes that such info as this is not documented.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Thanks for this. I found this change really annoying. If I accidentally didn't see where I'd saved a file, spotlight would always find it. Then along comes lion and instead of showing me where the file is, it just opens it, which was hugely annoying. I often wonder why developers change things that work so well.

But thanks again for point out the fix.

Reaction score
When hovering over the file in Lion's Spotlight, hold down Command to see the filename and Command-Option for the file path.

Reaction score
In SL when you hovered the mouse over a spotlight search result, it used to show you the path to that file. I can't see this on my installation of Lion.
Anyone seen this?

I have long path names so the above solutions are not appropriate. Try following, hover over the entry in spotlight, but don't click anything, and then press cmd + i ----- this should open the info window with the complete path name :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.