MAC Office 2011 Removal/Re-Install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, Dual Core Intel Xeon, Memory 18GB, MacBookPro, Intel Core 2 Memory 4 GB
Lion install required a "restore" and as a results Office 2011 had issues. I followed the "Complete Removal of Office " (How to completely remove Office for Mac 2011) and did a reinstall. Still have issues.

Same procedures worked for my MacBook Pro (issues not generated by Lion) but not the MacPro desktop. I've did the removal procedure several times with the same results. As an example, if I paste a photo into a document it crashes, ditto if I attempt to change the formatting, inserting para numbering etc. Have the same issues with Excel. I have searched and removed any and all MS files on my computer to no avail. Any ideas???

Thanks

Koyangie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
First thing I'd try is creating a new user account and seeing if the issue persists. If not, then you know the issue is with a preference in either your ~/Library/Preferences or your ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data folder. It could also be a bad font in ~/Library/Fonts.

If the issue persists, then the issue is most likely a System level preference and is probably hiding in your /Library folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Removing Office 2011 which did not come with an unistaller can be the very devil. Here is one way you may wish to check out:-

http://www.officeformachelp.com/office/install/remove-office/

At the foot of the page there is a link to download a complete uninstaller if you are reluctant to go the Terminal way.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks EvenStranger after creating a new user account it worked. Should I delete the original user account or leave it and just work around it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Deleting the old user account can be troublesome, especially if you still have files there you need. However, it does help narrow down your target.

Microsoft stores user files and preferences in several locations - remove them and you should be back in business:
~/Documents/Microsoft User Data (I wouldn't throw this away, necessarily - if you use Outlook, your email is in here. Just move it somewhere else.)
~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft
~/Library/Caches/com.microsoft.* and the Microsoft Office folder. Outlook too, if you use it.
~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.* and the Microsoft folder.

Once all of these files have been moved to the trash, reboot, log back in and test.

Reaction score
I bought my iMac 18 months ago with Office for mac 2008 and upgraded to Office 11 when it came out. Now I see I have duplicate apps for everything - presumably taking up space: Excel 2008 and 11, powerpoint 2008 and 11, word 2008 and 11, etc.
Am I safe removing all the original 2008 office apps? Just by simply moving the app icons to the trash can?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I bought my iMac 18 months ago with Office for mac 2008 and upgraded to Office 11 when it came out. Now I see I have duplicate apps for everything - presumably taking up space: Excel 2008 and 11, powerpoint 2008 and 11, word 2008 and 11, etc.
Am I safe removing all the original 2008 office apps? Just by simply moving the app icons to the trash can?

No, you should use the Office 2008 uninstaller just to be safe. It should be in the Office 2008 folder.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Success !

Deleting the old user account can be troublesome, especially if you still have files there you need. However, it does help narrow down your target.

Microsoft stores user files and preferences in several locations - remove them and you should be back in business:
~/Documents/Microsoft User Data (I wouldn't throw this away, necessarily - if you use Outlook, your email is in here. Just move it somewhere else.)
~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft
~/Library/Caches/com.microsoft.* and the Microsoft Office folder. Outlook too, if you use it.
~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.* and the Microsoft folder.

Once all of these files have been moved to the trash, reboot, log back in and test.

:Cool:

Thanks everstrange I got it fixes, at last! The last piece I needed showed up in MACWorld Weekly article (18 ways to view the ~/Library folder in Lion) guiding me to find the hidden files in my Library. Once I located and removed the files you listed above "all" components of MAC OFFICE 2011 are working.

Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.