MacPro, RAM and crucial.com

Reaction score
Hi,
I usually search around forums, and don't post... much.
But I need a bit of advice and confidence building:)

I have a Apple MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 (15-inch DDR3)
with only 4GB and keep getting the dreaded 'startup disk full' message.

I found the crucial website with their nifty program and recommendations of

8GB Kit (4GBx2)
DDR3 PC3-8500 • CL=7 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1066 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT1226773

US $65.99

and their video.

Is this the way to go? Or is there a better alternative?
And can I really do this myself? ( I'm only somewhat handy...)

$65 doesn't seem like much, so I'm a bit skeptical.

Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
I'm planning on purchasing from them within the next day or two so I can upgrade the RAM on my iMac. The two names I most often hear thrown around are Crucial and OWC. I'm inclined to trust them.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Thanks...

Crucial is fine...we at Mac-Forums recommend them often. And yes...you can do it. If you need further DIY info...got to ifixit.com & You-Tube for DIY instructions & videos.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Hi,
I usually search around forums, and don't post... much.
But I need a bit of advice and confidence building:)

I have a Apple MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 (15-inch DDR3)
with only 4GB and keep getting the dreaded 'startup disk full' message.

I found the crucial website with their nifty program and recommendations of

8GB Kit (4GBx2)
DDR3 PC3-8500 • CL=7 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1066 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT1226773

US $65.99

and their video.

Thanks...

just open the lower cover, and take out the current chips, note the positions of the chips and replace it with exact positions the old ones were.
and make the contacts are tight and snag. Nothing fancy to finish the job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Crucial is top-notch stuff. It's the consumer brand of Micron. They also make Lexar products. Never had an issue with their RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM
What I am missing here? What does Startup Disk is Full have to do with RAM?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Great catch!!!:)...you're right...there really isn't a relationship between a full startup disk & ram...just a confused user.;)

Hey "willow52"..."purple" is quite correct...if you're getting a "startup disk is full" message...more ram is not the answer. You either need a larger hard drive...or you need to delete a bunch of "stuff" from your current HD to free up some space.

- Nick

Reaction score
Was just about to post this... ;)

Startup disk full means that your hard drive is full up. Either move some stuff off to an external drive or replace the drive with a bigger one.

OSX likes to have lots of free space or else things get fragmented pretty quickly.

OP
W
Reaction score
Great catch!!!:)...you're right...there really isn't a relationship between a full startup disk & ram...just a confused user.;)

Hey "willow52"..."purple" is quite correct...if you're getting a "startup disk is full" message...more ram is not the answer. You either need a larger hard drive...or you need to delete a bunch of "stuff" from your current HD to free up some space.

- Nick

:\
OK I'll agree with that!
The message telling me to delete files is confusing.... I figured files = documents, pics, music.

My previous macbook pro had a lifetime of photos on it , and never ran into this. Therefore when I saw I had almost a solid blue circle in the Activity Monitor Disk usage, and I had already moved most everything to an external hard drive, I could use more 'space'.

More memory won't solve my problem?

I usually will have iChat, safari and Firefox open, and I believe face time (runs in the background?)
I ran into this when I stared putting the old family movies on to digital media using Easy VHS to DVD Capture and HandBrake.

So I really need to be more aware of whats running?:Confused:
not how many files and applications there are?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:\
OK I'll agree with that!
The message telling me to delete files is confusing.... I figured files = documents, pics, music.

Many folks have lots "junk" on their HD that they never or hardly ever use. Videos that they've downloaded, applications or games that they almost never use, music that they don't listen to.

"Deleting" doesn't necessarily mean "throw it away forever"...it can also mean move less used items to an external hard drive for longer term storage...or "burn" these things to CD/DVD for backup purposes.

In any case...if your hard drive is full...you have two options (already mentioned):

- delete/move some items from your computers hard drive to somewhere else
- purchase a bigger hard drive.

But buying a bigger hard drive is really only a temporary solution. I don't know how long you've had your computer...but it is a newer model...and if you've managed to fill up the HD already...you may manage to fill up a bigger HD quickly as well.

So the long term solution is to have a better file/application organizational strategy...which includes backing things up.

WARNING: If your HD really gets 100% full...you will not be able to use your computer...since the OS NEEDS a certain amount of HD free space to operate. So don't procrastinate making a decision on whether to get a larger HD or remove some items from your current HD.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
I think I have a MUCH better handle on this now!

Is using usb type storage (flash drives?) a ok idea for things like the Website files for Dreamweaver? And all those documents I seem to generate?

And a portable hard drive for all those Aperture libraries?

Will Time Machine will back those up if contacted?

And can I delete appies I have never used (and really don't even know what the they do) like;
iWeb
GarageBand
front row

And I really need to trash all those songs my son loaded into itunes!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Fall 2009 MacBookPro5,2 Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM
What you might try.

"And can I delete appies I have never used (and really don't even know what the they do) like;
iWeb
GarageBand
front row"

I suspect that deleting those apps will not buy very much relief.

No doubt that Pig003 is correct in giving your whole approach to organizing your files is important. No doubt family photos and videos are important. As I am now 61 I find that many of the pictures my family had from years ago, and everyone swore that we would take care to keep, have been lost.

From what I read, the Journaled file system of OS X does not fragment to the point where it has problems. However, the one way to create a lot of fragmentation, and exacerbate the the problems in the amount of space you have left on the drive is to do a lot of video editing.

Before trying much of anything. Back up whatever you have, as no one can guess the true consequences to your drive of trying things which work OK normally.

While I feel you know about it already:

1. Empty the trash bin.

2. Try to "Repair Disk Permissions" which should not harm anything, but might. Repair Disk Permissions will not put more space on the drive, but it can speed up a computer quite a bit.

Not sure how to advise you to look for "Fragmentation Problems" After you move off to external storage large files from the main drive, some would suggest to back up the internal drive, then (and this is dangerous, because you could lose all of your private files) Then Format the internal drive again. Install Mac again. update it. Then bring over your personal files, and programs --

Actually I let one of the more knowledgeable folks here talk about the right way to bring your personal files, and chosen programs back onto to the active internal hard drive - so that the hard drive is effectively without fragmentation. I am not sure you would have fragmentation problems to the extent of causing delays after some open space is gained by file deletion on the internal hard drive. However, if one is a bug about performance, then getting enough space, and getting the drive without fragmentation would seem important to me. Not sure if it is worth the effort for some folks tho.

Also having been a kid whose mom threw away some of my things. I know how upset I got when I discovered she did it. Might keep a copy of the kids music on an external drive or something.

USB Flash drives are neat and getting less expensive, but I like to use a spinning hard drive in an external enclosure, (or its sealed equivalent). In fact one can boot from such a drive, just my computer does not run so fast with the OS on a USB HD. Booting from an external drive is a cool way to work on building a HD just the way I want it, before I give up my computer as is, or boot from external drive to work on some problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Is using usb type storage (flash drives?) a ok idea for things like the Website files for Dreamweaver? And all those documents I seem to generate?

And a portable hard drive for all those Aperture libraries?

Will Time Machine will back those up if contacted?

And can I delete appies I have never used (and really don't even know what the they do) like;
iWeb
GarageBand
front row

And I really need to trash all those songs my son loaded into itunes!!
You can use an application like OmniDiskSweeper or something else to quickly see what is taking up all your hard drive space. This way you can delete or move files you no longer need on your computer.

To answer your questions above:

1. A USB flash drive is useable but I think when it comes to price per gig it will be cheaper to use an external hard drive for all your backup needs.

2. I don't use Aperture so I don't know how that will affect your libraries.

3. Unless I'm mistaken Time Machine will only back up files on your computer.

4. Most apps aren't that large so you most likely won't free up much space doing so. If you use OmniDiskSweeper it will also tell you how large each files and folders are so you will know what are the worst size hogs. It actually lists them in the order of largest to smallest.

5. If your son has his own copy of the songs then trash them. It's his responsibility. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.