sell for parts?

Reaction score
My 15 in MBP has a few problems. The second USB doesn't work, the click doesn't work (tap does), and the keys Z through . don't work. But the computer does! How much do you think I could get out of it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Depends on the vintage of the machine, but I'm going to guess maybe $200. Throw it up on eBay and you'll find out quickly.

OP
T
Reaction score
its 2008. only 200? its not like its significantly broken. im using it to write this.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its 2008. only 200? its not like its significantly broken. im using it to write this.

In perfect condition, Mac2Sell lists it at $600. Given it's a 4th generation machine and they don't take that into account, it might be worth up to $850 (tops).

With what appears to be liquid damage, it's a total crapshoot for the buyer. It depends on how savvy they are, but chances are any buyer you get is going to be handy with a screwdriver, and therefore pretty well versed in symptoms and cause. That's where I'm coming up with the estimate.

But again, it all depends on the buyer. eBay would be your best option, just be sure to thoroughly document the issues so that you set a reasonable expectation.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok, and you're right, it was liquid damaged a lonnng time ago, around when I first got it. But why are the problems just now showing? And when I post it on ebay should I put that it was liquid damaged or just the problems it has?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, and you're right, it was liquid damaged a lonnng time ago, around when I first got it. But why are the problems just now showing? And when I post it on ebay should I put that it was liquid damaged or just the problems it has?

Because the contaminants get in there and corrode or sometimes insulate contacts. In either case, it usually doesn't get better, more often than not, it will get worse. And as a tech, you can go on a wild goose chase replacing parts and be out a lot of money, easily exceeding the value of the machine.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and its 2009. i lied. :p

Can you provide the technical specs (Apple menu => About this Mac)? In particular, version of OS X, processor, memory and hard disk space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.