macbook pro 13" - fan(s) run high, computer seems slow

Reaction score
I just got a used (only 2 months old) macbook pro 13", and have noticed that the fan(s) seem to be always running on high.

Specs:
Intel core i5
2.3 GHz
4GB RAM

When checked with Fan Control, one fan shows 6200 RPM and the other shows -1 !?! The temp shows 35 C, so it's definitely not too hot.

Activity Monitor shows under System Processes that 'kernel_task' is using ~326% of CPU, and the CPU usage graph at the bottom shows just a big red band with only a little black at the top. User:~ 0.5%, System: ~80%, Idle: ~20%.

Do I have a broken fan, and the other is just over compensating?

This is the case whether I'm running any programs or not. Just after startup, the fan comes on (I'm assuming it's just one fan because both Fan Control and iStat Pro show only one fan spinning).

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
MBP 13's have one fan MBP 15/17's have two.
Does it run high fan with all apps closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Those fan control apps may be causing your fan to run unnecessarily high. The fans in a Mac do not need to be adjusted. They are optimized to control temperature inside your Mac and making them run higher than their default settings is not wise.

If you find that all apps are closed (quit them with Command+Q) and fans are still running high, try Reset SMC.

I repeat, whatever you do, once you get the fan issue resolved, do not change the default fan settings.

OP
M
Reaction score
is there a way to lower the fan speed? some app I can install? Right now it's running at 6200 RPM all the time

OP
M
Reaction score
The fan was running high before the app was installed. I've tried the SMC reset several times, and installed all software updates.

iStat Pro desktop widget tells me the same things anyway, so I'll uninstall Fan Control. I didn't use it to change anything, just to view what's going on.

Any ideas about the 'kernel_task' that looks like it's at over 300% CPU usage?

Reaction score
did you upgrade to lion? because when i did mine (same version as yours) started to run hot fan on high and felt sluggish

OP
M
Reaction score
Nope. Still OSX 10.6 or something Leopard?

I'm going to and Apple store next week. Hopefully they can sort it out. I've read that reinstalling the OS can fix it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.