Using Print Finder Items in Automator

Reaction score
[RESOLVED] Using Print Finder Items in Automator

On both my iMac and my MBP, I can't seem to be able to select a printer using the Print Finder Items action in Automator. There is no list to choose from. Any ideas?

2vskpwm.jpg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I bet you have version 1.0.1 of this action as I do. It seems that the version of that action which did what you want was 1.0. Look at the Quick Print section of this article..

I have not found a solution yet. If you have a copy of the older version around try adding it to your Automator installation. Sometimes two actions can coexist without issues. When it is time to create a workflow simply choose the one that best fits what you want to do.

OP
B
Reaction score
I have 1.0.1 unfortunately. Does Snow Leopard have 1.0 or 1.0.1? I have Lion which has 1.0.1 but I have a backup of all files I had in SL.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still have Snow Leopard on a hard drive so I searched for the older version. I think I found it at Download Automator Fun Apps Set 1 for Mac - Set of 24 Automator applications. MacUpdate.com but unfortunately Lion identifies it as Power PC. Unless someone comes up with a Rosetta alternative that one is out of the question.

I am not much of an AppleScripter but I wonder if it is possible to use AppleScript to define the printer before running that action. I took a cursory look in Automator but did not find anything that looked appropriate.

OP
B
Reaction score
I still have Snow Leopard on a hard drive so I searched for the older version. I think I found it at Download Automator Fun Apps Set 1 for Mac - Set of 24 Automator applications. MacUpdate.com but unfortunately Lion identifies it as Power PC. Unless someone comes up with a Rosetta alternative that one is out of the question.

I am not much of an AppleScripter but I wonder if it is possible to use AppleScript to define the printer before running that action. I took a cursory look in Automator but did not find anything that looked appropriate.

I wonder why it identifies it as PPC as it claims that it supports Intel too:

REQUIREMENTS
PPC / Intel, Mac OS X 10.4 or later.

I did find a link to Print Finder Items.action via Google. It could be 1.0 (I'm not sure). I can't seem to be able to post links (EDIT: Got it to work. See post #3 for link) in this forum but if you search for "print finder items.action site:f2dd.info" (without quotation marks), you should find it (first link on my machine). I don't know whether it's safe to download and use though.

(also - congrats on your 1,700th post! ;) )

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks I will check that out. I think that what is happening here is that the action step itself is PowerPC code. It will run on both but running on Intel requires Rosetta. If it were a Universal Binary it would have both the Intel and Power PC code. Universal binaries will generally run under Lion because they have both Intel and Power PC code. It just runs the Intel code under Lion.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks I will check that out. I think that what is happening here is that the action step itself is PowerPC code. It will run on both but running on Intel requires Rosetta. If it were a Universal Binary it would have both the Intel and Power PC code. Universal binaries will generally run under Lion because they have both Intel and Power PC code. It just runs the Intel code under Lion.

Let me know how you get on with it when you can. I'm going to download it later today once I get back home.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.