Bridging Extreme 5ghz to Xpress (N) ethernet wired to ps3 SLOW

Reaction score
Hi,

I have my extreme 5ghz set up as the router attached to the modem with cat5e.

The Xpress (N) is attached to the PS3 via ethernet cat5e.

I bridged the Xpress to the extreme on the 5ghz network by JOINING IT.

However I am not getting the speeds to be able to use my ps3 as a media server.

My laptop hooked up wirelessly to the 5ghz network by N gets anywhere from 19-30MBPS and upload around 1MBPS.

*The ps3 hooked up by wired using the Xpress(N) gets around 5MBPS and uploads 750bps

I can't stream music or movies without it stuttering. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong here? I was hoping to get around 12MBPS steady to the ps3 thru the N card in the Xpress.

PLEASE HELP ME,
Sean

OP
S
Reaction score
It May be I need to register the MAC ID with my internet service provider as I had to do with my extreme.

I will check on this tomorrow to see if it clears things up.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
You will lose bandwidth in a network extension/relay mode. I'd expect you to get a little higher on the download side - but the upload seems like a reasonable reduction. Your download could be impacted by many many things - but it has nothing to do with the MAC address.

OP
S
Reaction score
Do lose that much bandwidth in bridge mode on N connection.

19-30 MBPS to 5 MBPS? I mean my ps3 with its on G card picks up 3-5 MBPS on its own.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Do lose that much bandwidth in bridge mode on N connection.

19-30 MBPS to 5 MBPS? I mean my ps3 with its on G card picks up 3-5 MBPS on its own.

You shouldn't be losing that much - no - but there are many factors that could be causing the issue. The fact that you're getting 5Mbps leads me to believe it's working correctly. Try, as an experiment, moving closer to the Airport Extreme to see if performance improves.

BTW - I just reread your initial post - and believe I may have misinterpreted. I'm now reading as if basically, you're trying to use the Airport Express as a surrogate NIC and not using the PS3's wireless connection? Is that correct?

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes I am using the Apple Xpress N not the ps3 g card

to bridge the internet connection.

I am one floor away from modem/router setup.. not sure if i want to move ps3 tv and express to test if closer helps..

is there any other solution?

i was hoping to get similar to my wireless laptop of 19 MBPS to 30MBps on its N card as the express has an N card for the PS3.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I am using the Apple Xpress N not the ps3 g card

to bridge the internet connection.

I am one floor away from modem/router setup.. not sure if i want to move ps3 tv and express to test if closer helps..

is there any other solution?

i was hoping to get similar to my wireless laptop of 19 MBPS to 30MBps on its N card as the express has an N card for the PS3.

Then use your computer to test. Plug it in - the same way you're connecting the PS3 and in the same location - and test - if the results are the same move closer to see if it improves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This may be as simple as a problem with the Ethernet port on the PS3. That would explain why it's getting such poor speed. As advised, try another device out using the same cable that you have connected to the PS3 and see if you get a better response time. If so, it's the PS3 itself, if not, it could the port from the Xpress (N) as well. It might also help to try another Cat 5 cable too.

OP
S
Reaction score
its not the ps3. I went hard wired ethernet and it works flawlessly now.

I appreciate everyones help, but now im just using the apple express to extend the network upstairs.

sean

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.