Invisible file gone after switching from snow leopard to lion

Reaction score
Like the title says, I can't find the invisible file I had while using snow leopard after switching to tiger. Everything else is still on my computer, except this one file. Do you think it's still on the computer or is it gone? Thanks for any help.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Like the title says, I can't find the invisible file I had while using snow leopard after switching to tiger. Everything else is still on my computer, except this one file. Do you think it's still on the computer or is it gone? Thanks for any help.

First of all did you really switch to Tiger, or did you upgrade to Lion?

If we are talking about upgrading to Lion, by default some files and folders are now hidden. Tell us specifically what you are looking for and we can help you locate it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Oh yea, I meant Lion, sorry. I used text edit and I saved the file using a "." in front of the file name so it would be invisible (that's what I read online) in the documents folder. I was able to open it by going to file then find and then changing kind to visibility and then visible to invisible and I was able to open the file while still using snow leopard. It doesn't work now though that I'm using Lion.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yea, I meant Lion, sorry. I used text edit and I saved the file using a "." in front of the file name so it would be invisible (that's what I read online) in the documents folder. I was able to open it by going to file then find and then changing kind to visibility and then visible to invisible and I was able to open the file while still using snow leopard. It doesn't work now though that I'm using Lion.

Thanks for the additional info . . . someone will probably weigh in with an answer now that we understand your issue.

Just out of curiousity, why are you doing this?

Not sure what you gain by having an invisible text file. If you are trying to secure information an encrypted disk image is a lot more secure.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm doing this just cause I'm in college and there are some personal files I don't want others to see because I let other people use my computer. I'm not really computer savvy so I just googled it and found the invisibility thing. Is making an encrypted disk image complex? I can look it up if it's not too hard. Thanks though!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm doing this just cause I'm in college and there are some personal files I don't want others to see because I let other people use my computer. I'm not really computer savvy so I just googled it and found the invisibility thing. Is making an encrypted disk image complex? I can look it up if it's not too hard. Thanks though!

Very easy to do
How to create a password-protected (encrypted) disk image in Mac OS X 10.3 or later

Also, if you are going to allow others to access your computer you may want to consider setting up a Guest Account to limit their access.
Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Creating a guest user account

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.