Good Photo Editing Program? Newbie

Reaction score
Hey all

I'm relatively new to Mac and I am looking for a photo editing program to suit my needs.

My understanding is things such as iPhoto and Aperture are great for "touching up" your photos....you know making your good photos great.

I'm mostly looking for something that allows me to had a little fun with my pictures. Something that will easily allow me to cut the head off one friend and paste it on another. Also something that will easily allow me to insert text into a photo. And finally something that will allow me to draw free hand on a photo. (i.e. put a ridiculous hat on someone). I like to horse around with pictures of my friends to make them laugh. While certainly quality would be great this is really just for fun, so if the program doesn't have the "power" to make fine adjustments that is fine.

When I had my PC I used a very basic version of Photoshop for my shenanigans
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions of something cheap(hopefully under $100...even less is better) to help me out.

If anyone can get me looking in the right direction I would appreciate it:)

CHeers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Pixelmator comes highly recommended, as does Acorn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple since 1982, now: iMac 2.5 ghz, 500 HD, sandy bridge
GraphicConverter is wonderful. And its the right price. Shareare, but you can use the full featured version for nothin' until your guilt takes over.

C

chas_m

Neither of the above two programs -- while both excellent in and of themselves -- really make it easy to do what the OP wants. I'd suggest that Photoshop Elements is far, far better suited to what was described, and it's often found on sale for cheap. Indeed, it's $20 cheaper on the Mac App Store than the retail boxed version.

OP
J
Reaction score
I did see PSE on the App Store. The price is reasonable, I just want to confirm.....it will in fact do all the things I was asking about in the original post? Again not that its super expensive but I'd just hate to pay $80 and it not do some of the most basic stuff i want it too.

Cheers

C

chas_m

If you're unsure, go to Adobe's site and download the free 30-day trial. It does all the things you described in your first post, but whether it works the way you want is a question only you can answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.