[Please Help] Lion OSX Wifi Problem

Reaction score
This is my first post on the forum, so hi...I'm Michael :) This isn't a joke post, I'm just new to the forum! Please help me!

Here's the problem in a nutshell:

After upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion, I have encountered problems connecting to the internet wirelessly. My only guess is it is an issue with my DNS servers, but I don't know enough about DNS to know for sure.

Last night I had the same issue, and after reading on this forum, I set my DNS servers to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 -- and everything worked perfectly. I was downloading at 2MB/s no problem. I thought that everything was fixed.

Today, I moved my iMac downstairs so I could start attempting to turn the family PC (I'm very excited to do so ;) ) and my iMac wouldn't connect to my router. I tried resetting my router and my modem, and then I plugged an Ethernet cord into my computer -- and voila, everything worked perfectly again. When the Ethernet cord was connected, the DNS was set to the router's default IP address: 192.168.1.1

As I was trying to debug my problem, my computer stopped connecting to my router completely, it just says, "Connection timeout." Sometimes it will connect to the router now, and sometimes it won't. It's a very random thing.

When I am connected to the router, Safari and Chrome can't load a page, it just keeps trying and trying. Chrome will eventually timeout, but Safari won't. I'm not sure if anyone knows what my problem is, or what I need to do, but I'm willing to try anything at this point, as long as it doesn't damage my system.

A few people may ask why I can't run an Ethernet cord to my iMac, but that's nearly impossible. I'd have to drill a hole in the wall through my laundry room to run the wire upstairs. I may do that if I can't figure out how to make my wireless work, but hopefully that won't be the case!

I apologize for the extremely long and paragraphed post in advance, I just wanted to make sure I provided all the information I could so we don't waste time having you guys ask for tidbits of information. Here's some other random information:

Router: Netgear Wirless-N150 WNR1000
Modem: Ubee Docksys 3
Processor: 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Internet provider: Comcast

Thanks in advance, I can't wait to hear from someone! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2020 iMac; 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 processor; 32GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5500 XT; 2 TB SSD
Have you tried all the fixes listed in this link?

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17"
I am having a network problem since upgrading to Lion. I have a 17" Macbookpro and it is connected wirelessly to an Airport Extreme Base Station. If I finish work and close the lid without closing down, when I return and open the lid the web browsers will not work - both Safari and Firefox - they both come up with errors that they can not connect to the internet, and I have to reboot the computer to fix the problem. At the same time Skype is still working, and my old Windows laptop can still surf the net.

There was no problem before upgrading, and it is starting to get annoying!

Reaction score
MAC OS LION WiFi Network issues

This appears to be a worldwide problem with Lion. The operating system has issues with peripherals such as Time Machine, Airport Express and Airport Extreme. Many, and I am one if them as is my son who lives 10,000 miles away from me, find that the computer seems to keep switching itself off and on but more often than not does not recognise Time Machine nor Airport Extreme (which I use for my wireless network). Rebooting, reconfiguring, resetting do not work the problem comes back.

The cure, and perhaps it indicates the source of the problem within the OS, seems to be peripheral drives plugged into the USB. Unplug them all so only the wireless router is connected and seems to work OK. But then that gives me a problem as a lot of my data is in an external drive and I cannot backup to one either. I have installed Lion on my iMac and MacBook. Both generate the problem.

You may also find that it keeps telling you your computer is already logged so it allocates a new name!

A major bug in Lion I'm afraid. One hopes the Apple people are reading this!

C

chas_m

This is the only place I have heard of this issue. I certainly didn't experience it on mine, and I have yet to hear from any of my local clients that they've had this problem.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it's clearly NOT a "worldwide problem" or "major bug." I'm sure it's happened to some people (maybe quite a lot of people) but as it doesn't appear to be consistent to everyone, there may be some other factor that's actually the cause rather than Lion itself.

Reaction score
MAC OS Lion problems

Yes it is worldwide. Look at where the postings are coming from. A lot has been said on the same issue in other forums on the internet with many having the same problems.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nothing here on my machine. I hope this is not a Trolling post. We frown on that here.

With EVERY OSX version that has been released we seem to get a few people complaining about WiFi issues.

Reaction score
That is not a troll message. All our computers (macBook, MacBook pro, iMac) here have the same problem. It happens irregularly, but in average every half hour. The only solution is to swtich off wifi and then switch it on again. That is usually enough.

I have checked quite a few forums, and it seems to be a worldwide problem indeed. Never had the problem under Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes it is worldwide. Look at where the postings are coming from. A lot has been said on the same issue in other forums on the internet with many having the same problems.

Please provide links to these other forums and to an Apple discussion forums report on this problem. One instance does not equal a problem and there may be a common thread in these cases that will yield a clue or work around.

From my own experience I have had no issues with either of My Lion equipped Macs on my Airport network at home (5Ghz) nor my multiple USB peripherals).

Reaction score
Lion OS Wifi network programmes

A little more to report. I have run my iMac without any external USB drive plugged in and all worked ok. After a few hours I plugged in one and all was OK, I plugged in the second, all seemed OK. But when I plugged in Time Machine it dropped out the wireless network and the Ethernet one; started to rename my iMac saying it was already logged in under an existing name and needed a new one; other devices in the house could not connect to the wireless network. It would not configure the Time Machine or if it did it did not work. When I unplugged the Time Machine all worked OK and still seems to after several hours.

In other forums it seems people have had problems with Time Machine. I am no expert in all this but logically its pointing to some incompatibility with Time machine. I am aware others have done something similar, been OK for awhile then the fault came back. Not with me so far but I cannot of course use Time Machine nor it's Ethernet ports which I was using.

Don't know if this helps those with more expertise to consider what is wrong although I suspect Apple will by now have worked it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You might consider turning Time machine off, reformatting the time machine drive, then turning time machine on and then letting it do a full backup again. Just a thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Actually for me my internet connection via a router has had less drops after installing Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17"
This is a genuine problem I experienced. I have managed to fix it once by running network diagnostics in Safari, though this morning everything worked as it should. The problem was web browser related, Skype and POP e-mail still worked. If it keeps happening I will ring Apple.

Reaction score
I found a SOLUTION to the problem

I have a Macbook, and was experiencing the EXACT annoying problem. I called the apple support phone number and they gave me a solution to the problem and it finally works again!

1. Go to system preferences and open or click Network

2. On the Wifi tab, click on Advanced button near the lower right corner

3. On the Wi-Fi tab go to the Preferred Networks box where it lists the networks your computer knows to connect to

4. Now delete all of the networks that you do not recognize, especially ones that may be in your apartment building or that your computer may be in range of. Make sure that your network is at the top of the list. You can drag them. The tech person said it was ok to have a couple other ones, but to make sure that mine was at the top of the list.

5. CLick OK then apply. now try it out and see if it worked

At first Safari gave me the same error message but about 3-5 seconds later it automatically loaded up my homepage. Then after 2 more times of shutting or putting my computer to sleep to test it, it started loading my homepage like normal again. I really hope this works for you because I know how enraging the problem is !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17"
I tried that but my system only shows the network I am connected to. This morning the same problem was there, but I cleared the problem by turning WiFi off and then back on. The next this is to call Apple.

Reaction score
Same issues...

I've had the same issues since upgrading to Lion. Have tried as many of the "fixes" as I could find on various forums to no avail. I noticed airport, or wifi as it is called now, seems to duplicate my SSID each time it does a search. I have attached a screenshot of this occurring. Any thoughts of why or how to stop this from happening?

Screen Shot 2011-07-30 at 9.56.56 AM.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That above I have never seen before. 3 Computers I have installed Lion on, Two of mine and one helping a friend. All with Airport in use. I have 8 networks at my place. No duplication. No dropped connections. Not sure why others are having so many issues.

Reaction score
I will confirm the issue

I registered with this forum, just to support this issue and locate a solution.

My team was required to upgrade to Lion to support other users. We have experienced a number of issues that all point to a wireless connectivity issue. We are all on the same AP on the same secured wireless network. For the most part, all of us have the same current model of the MacBook Pro Core i7 all purchased within the last six months. Mine being the newest as of 1 week ago.

I personally have not experienced issues. Members of my team (using the Mail client) have been able to send emails with no issue, but they aren't receiving. Restarting the client makes the emails appear.

Members on VPN will experience a drop in connection, but ONLY to servers in another building. Anything in the main building are fine. Restart VPN and it works perfectly again. Email problem also hits them.

One user had the email problem, the VPN problem, and no websites would connect....yet iChat was working perfectly. Turn off Wireless and restart it....everything is fine again.

I've gone through a number of steps, courtesy of How I fixed my dropping wireless Airport connection problem in Snow Leopard and so far they aren't getting any improvements.

Any other ideas out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17"
The problem is intermittent, and I have no clue why one time you can browse, and another time the browser says that there is no internet connection. In all cases it is resolved by turning WiFi off and then back on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.