RAM Upgrades

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
So I've had my 2011 iMac for about a month now and am loving it, except the whole OSX Lion Up-to-date fiasco (still waiting on my code). Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade the RAM from 4GB to 12GB, and was thinking of purchasing this RAM,
8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 upgrades for Apple iMac 3.1GHz Intel Quad-Core i5 (27-inch - DDR3) Mid 2011 Desktop/PC, CT2109108 from Crucial.com
which would cost about 70$ after tax+shipping.
My other option is
Amazon.com: Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 Memory Module (CT2KIT51264BC1339): Electronics
Which would be about 5 dollars cheaper, but it does not appear to be the same model.
I've never ordered anything from Crucial before, so I'd tend to trust Amazon more, but would appreciate any comments people may have. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest going with the Crucial as it matches specs better and you will feel happier with it for the five bucks. And what do you mean 'code' and fiasco? Something to do with the free upgrade offer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Suggest going with the Crucial as it matches specs better and you will feel happier with it for the five bucks. And what do you mean 'code' and fiasco? Something to do with the free upgrade offer?

Crucial is always good. I would use their scanner on their website if you are unsure about which memory is acceptable. Then once you have the results you can compare with other sites for the best deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 27" 3.2 GHz 8GB RAM iPhone 5 32GB iPad 3 16GB iPad Mini Retina 16GB
Now that I have Lion on my late 2009 iMac I was wondering if buying this from crucial would speed up my mac (not that its slow) 8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-8500 memory module. I have 4 gb at the moment.

Many thanks Fuzzywuzy

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FTR: the other RAM from Amazon was also crucial, I guess its better to buy direct anyway.

Now that I have Lion on my late 2009 iMac I was wondering if buying this from crucial would speed up my mac (not that its slow) 8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-8500 memory module. I have 4 gb at the moment.

Many thanks Fuzzywuzy

It will certainly ensure that you can have everything open at once (Safari, iTunes, iWork apps, etc., and if you can afford it I say add the RAM.
EDIT: And yes by code and fiasco I mean I still have yet to receive my code from filling out the long redeem form. We'll see if I hear from them tomorrow, after which I will be hounding them again as it will have been a week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FTR: the other RAM from Amazon was also crucial, I guess its better to buy direct anyway.

It will certainly ensure that you can have everything open at once (Safari, iTunes, iWork apps, etc., and if you can afford it I say add the RAM.
EDIT: And yes by code and fiasco I mean I still have yet to receive my code from filling out the long redeem form. We'll see if I hear from them tomorrow, after which I will be hounding them again as it will have been a week.

Thanks for that, I'll get that ordered.

Reaction score
Crucial is a good brand for Macs, shouldn't be an issue. + for the extra that you will spend from Crucial you will prolly get better customer service if you ever have problems/need an RMA, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Installed my 8gb of extra ram, it was easy and it's now flying !

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
First time upgrade of ram on my late 2009 iMac.

Purchased 2 matched 4GB crucial sticks but when I went to fit them to the 2 empty slots I can't get them to fit! I've watched video's, read the manual, doing everything right. Tried fitting the existing ram in the empty slots and still no luck.

They new ram fits in the slots the original ram was in, so my question is how hard do you have to push the ram to fit it in the empty slots. I was pushing pretty hard!!! The ram in the two top slots furthest away from the display side went in pretty easy, not too much pressure!!!!!

So at the moment I am running the new ram in the orignal populated slots with no problems.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 12gb iMac i5; iPhone 4s; 13.3" MacBook Air
I want to upgrade so badly, but I have no clue how to install it... I'm afraid to take anything apart... Quite a novice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Tell us which Mac you have, year and model? Installing memory in most Mac models is very easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tell us which Mac you have, year and model? Installing memory in most Mac models is very easy.

I bought it new in 2010. It's a 27 in i5 1tb 4g RAM... Let me know if you need any other info, I'm not extremely knowledgeable about this stuff.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Installing memory in an iMac is very easy. There's a plate with two screws on the bottom panel directly below the aluminum frame which houses the LCD. The removal of the screws and plate will expose the memory.

Depending on which model iMac you have, it may have two banks or one bank. My iMac (21.5" 2011 model) has two banks which means it can hold 4 modules. Two in each bank.

Take a look at the following video from YouTube. LINK

Also, instructions from Apple: LINK

Buy your memory modules from a reputable seller. I recommend purchasing from either Crucial (www.crucial.com) or Other World Computing.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Installing memory in an iMac is very easy. There's a plate with two screws on the bottom panel directly below the aluminum frame which houses the LCD. The removal of the screws and plate will expose the memory.

Depending on which model iMac you have, it may have two banks or one bank. My iMac (21.5" 2011 model) has two banks which means it can hold 4 modules. Two in each bank.

Take a look at the following video from YouTube. LINK

Also, instructions from Apple: LINK

Buy your memory modules from a reputable seller. I recommend purchasing from either Crucial (RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com) or Other World Computing.

I am going to second this as well. As I recall, the 2011 and 2010 models use the same RAM. I personally went with Crucial, it was 70 dollars shipped for 8gb of RAM. Just walk through the memory finder on their site. It will guide you to the exact RAM you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to order this based on this recommendation.. Do I just put it in the extra slots, or replace the old ones? Hopefully I'll install it no problem..

Reaction score
I will be doing the same thing very soon, except I ordered mine from OWC. I decided to upgrade to 12 GB also (leaving the two 2 GB cards in and just adding the two 4 GB cards when they arrive). I had the first iMac 27 " (late model 2009) and for some reason, it wouldn't run right when I maxed the RAM out at 16 GB (it would freeze on occasion).

May God Bless!

Ed

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to order this based on this recommendation.. Do I just put it in the extra slots, or replace the old ones? Hopefully I'll install it no problem..

I would just put it in the empty slots, but it may be a little snug trying to fit it. Just FYI.

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone able to answer my query about the problems fitting the ram to the two slots nearest the screen, don't seem to want to go, existing or new chips. Are they harder to push in than the upper two slots. Felt like if I push any harder something's gonna break !!!!!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.