Issue with iTunes and Audible.com audio books

Reaction score
After upgrading iTunes to the latest version last week I was unable to play my Audible files. I post on the Apple boards but did not get a reply so I contacted Audible tech support and got a helpful reply which resolved my problem. If any of you are also having this same problem here is what helped me.

Original Message

I have downloaded the audio books and was able to listen to them just fine
until yesterday when I UPGRADED iTunes. Ever since then I am receiving this
error message when I attempt to play one of the audio books.

"Could not authorize this computer because you do not have enough computer
access privileges."

RESOLUTION

1. Quit iTunes (iTunes menu > Quit iTunes).
2. Browse to the following location on the computer: MAC Hard Drive > Library > Preferences
3. Press CTRL and click the mouse button (equivalent of right-click on a PC) on the folder, Preferences, and select Get Info.
4. Ensure that the Privileges for all the Names under Sharing & Permissions are set to Read & Write.
Note: You may have to select the lock in the lower right hand corner and enter in the administrative password before you are able to change the Permissions.
5. Launch iTunes and attempt to play an Audible title. When prompted to activate simply enter in the Audible username and password and select OK. Once the activation window goes away and the title starts playing, pause the title.
6. With iTunes still open, browse to the following location on the computer: MAC Hard Drive > Library > Preferences
7. In the Preferences folder will be a file called com.audible.data.plist. Press CTRL and click the mouse button (equivalent of right-click on a PC) on the file, com.audible.data.plist, and select Get Info.
8. Ensure that the Privileges for all the Names under Sharing & Permissions are set to Read & Write.
Note: You may have to select the lock in the lower right hand corner and enter in the administrative password before you are able to change the Permissions.
9. Launch iTunes again and attempt to play an Audible title. When prompted to activate enter in the Audible username and password and select OK. Once the activation window goes away and the title starts playing, quit iTunes. Launch iTunes again and attempt to play the same Audible title. If the title plays, then you have fixed the issue. If prompted to activate, proceed to step 10.
10. Quit iTunes and browse to the following location on the computer: MAC Hard Drive > Library > Preferences
11. In the Preferences folder delete the file com.audible.data.plist.
12. Launch iTunes again and attempt to play an Audible title. When prompted to activate enter in the Audible username and password and select OK. Once the activation window goes away and the title starts playing, quit iTunes. Launch iTunes again and attempt to play the same Audible title.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hadn't tried playing one of my audible books on my Mac in awhile and had to go check it out when I saw this. I'm good - whew!

But thanks for posting - this one will go into my subscribed threads for just in case.

OP
E
Reaction score
Hadn't tried playing one of my audible books on my Mac in awhile and had to go check it out when I saw this. I'm good - whew!

But thanks for posting - this one will go into my subscribed threads for just in case.

No problem. It may just be something that hits random users and you are one of the lucky ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.