Backing up using time capsule

Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm new to backing up my harddrive and I have a question. I use an external drive using Time Capsule. I backup my Macbook once a week. The question I have is this. Say I have some videos on my macbook and I save them using Time Machine to back up my entire Laptop Drive. Then I delete the videos off my laptop to save space. The next time I use Time Machine to backup my drive will the backup not keep those videos on the external drive. Or does it erase and back up whatever the drive its backing up has saved to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hi There,

I'm new to backing up my harddrive and I have a question. I use an external drive using Time Capsule. I backup my Macbook once a week. The question I have is this. Say I have some videos on my macbook and I save them using Time Machine to back up my entire Laptop Drive. Then I delete the videos off my laptop to save space. The next time I use Time Machine to backup my drive will the backup not keep those videos on the external drive. Or does it erase and back up whatever the drive its backing up has saved to it.

Time Machine will have a backup of those videos up until it reaches the point where the last backup of them is the oldest backup and it is time to delete that backup. Follow me? Basically once the drive is full, the oldest backups start getting deleted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.