Snow Leopard, Safari upgrade, now running slower

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Hey everyone,

I'm still on SL as I haven't upgraded to Lion. Just wanting to wait for some of the kinks to get worked out first.

However, I saw someone mention a Safari upgrade the other day, so I did a software update and upgraded.

Now I really seem to notice a considerable slow down over the way it was prior to the upgrade of Safari. Anyone else notice this same thing?

Anything I can do?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Anything I can do?

Upgrade to Lion. Safari 5.1 is actually faster than 5.0 was on Snow Leopard. No complaints here. As far as waiting "until the kinks are worked out", you're thinking Windows again. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Safari is running like the wind here for me on Lion. No problems whatsoever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I noticed this too after installing Safari 5.1, even with all extensions disabled. I'm not too heartbroken over it since I almost never use it anyway. You should upgrade to Chrome. You may be pleasantly surprised, and the time between now and whenever Apple fixes Safari on Snow Leopard could make for a good "trial" period. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Safari is running like a lion. No problems here!

C

chas_m

Yes, Safari seems noticeably "zippier" (tm) on Lion.

That said, not everyone should move to Lion right away. You gotta check that your core programs are compatible, and do a backup at the very least (a run with OnyX wouldn't be a bad idea either!) before you leap on the Lion.

As for Chrome -- why not just invite Google to come over and watch you sleep while you're at it?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As for Chrome -- why not just invite Google to come over and watch you sleep while you're at it?
I have to say - your commitment to an unprovable claim is remarkable. ;)

One of our other members has been having quite a few issues with Safari 5.1 on SL that don't seem to be as problematic on Lion. You might want to think about going back to Safari 5.0.x. Assuming you have a Time Machine backup, this thread seems to imply that you can simply restore the old version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
Safari is very fast in my Lion install as well. I didn't use it in SL but instead used FF. I am pleasantly surprised with the performance of Safari and as such have moved it to my preferred solution for browsing. FF is in the garage. I think Apple did a good job this time around.

Regards,

Pat

C

chas_m

My point -- that you guys both seem to miss -- is not unprovable at all. Google exists to sell advertising. That is their purpose, their raison d'etre, their mission.

Everything they do -- absolutely EVERY.THING. -- is in service to collecting information about you so that they can target advertising to you more effectively. They have no purpose as a company, and make an overwhelming majority of their income from this activity.

Nothing wrong with that per se, though it has led them to do some pretty evil things. But the concept of setting up attractive services to lure people into giving up personal info about themselves for the purposes of selling advertising? Not a problem per se, as long as you understand that that is what's happening.

Google didn't give you a shiny new browser because they like you. They gave you a shiny new browser to aid their collection of data about you. If you're okay with that, enjoy! I personally prefer to limit the amount of personal data collected about me to something I am more aware of, and give permission to and/or manage with more control on my end (which I may or may not exercise as I wish). I also prefer to use a web browser from companies that don't data-mine what I do on that web browser. My choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And the point you most definitely miss is that you can shut off the data collection features in Chrome that you're so afraid of. I also have yet to see Google do anything "evil" with the information (certainly not as "evil" as Apple's oh-so-scary geolocation database on your iPhone that the press was blowing up a short while back ;)).

Also:
Apple didn't give you a shiny new Safari browser because they like you. They gave you a shiny new browser to better sell their products to you and get money from Google for giving them data you punch into the Safari search bar. If you're okay with that, enjoy! I personally prefer to limit the amount of personal data collected about me to something I am more aware of, and give permission to and/or manage with more control on my end (which I may or may not exercise as I wish), something Google facilitates and makes transparent while Apple does not. I also prefer to use a web browser from companies that let me control how much they data-mine what I do on that web browser. My choice.

I fixed it for you.

This has swerved off topic, though. Pastor needs a solution since Safari 5.1 is apparently broken on Snow Leopard. Pastor, you are faced with 4 options:

1) Keep using broken Safari on Snow Leopard until it gets fixed.
2) Use a different web browser on Snow Leopard until Safari gets fixed.
3) Find a way to roll back the Safari version until it gets fixed(It is very likely this will require reinstalling Snow Leopard since Safari makes significantly bigger changes than you see in just the browser).
4) Upgrade to Lion.

You have to decide which of these has the least drawbacks for you personally. If I were in your position and an active Safari user, that would be number 2. Every modern Mac browser supports easy import of Safari bookmarks, and Safari doesn't exactly bring a whole lot to the table that the alternatives don't.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
This has swerved off topic, though. Pastor needs a solution since Safari 5.1 is apparently broken on Snow Leopard. Pastor, you are faced with 4 options:

1) Keep using broken Safari on Snow Leopard until it gets fixed.
2) Use a different web browser on Snow Leopard until Safari gets fixed.
3) Find a way to roll back the Safari version until it gets fixed(It is very likely this will require reinstalling Snow Leopard since Safari makes significantly bigger changes than you see in just the browser).
4) Upgrade to Lion.

You have to decide which of these has the least drawbacks for you personally. If I were in your position and an active Safari user, that would be number 2. Every modern Mac browser supports easy import of Safari bookmarks, and Safari doesn't exactly bring a whole lot to the table that the alternatives don't.

Couldn't agree more with this. I'm leaning on FF and Chrome right now just for certain activities - as I semi-impatiently await a Safari 5.1 update which hopefully will include a number of bug fixes. I considered rolling back - but rumor has it over at the Apple support communities that an update is in the works - so for now I'll just be patient. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 in. iMac i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Mt. Lion 10.8.2
Safari 5.1 on SL seems as fast as Safari 5.0 was. There are some operations where it seems slow, but 5.0 seemed slow,too, on those operations. Where does it lack compared to 5.0?

Like others, and as a newbie to Mac, I'm waiting a while before going to Lion.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Safari 5.1 on SL seems as fast as Safari 5.0 was. There are some operations where it seems slow, but 5.0 seemed slow,too, on those operations. Where does it lack compared to 5.0?

Like others, and as a newbie to Mac, I'm waiting a while before going to Lion.

I think sometimes people just don't notice changes in performance as others do. The glitches I've documented thus far:

1. Graphics glitch - I posted a video for your viewing pleasure
2. Memory Leak - over the course of a day it can tie up 2.5GB RAM
3. Jerky scrolling - certain sites will not scroll smoothly - and I can open that site in Chrome or FF and no issues
4. Some videos won't play - again - FF, Chrome - no issues.
5. Keeps dropping passwords - at least on this site. For instance - if I walk away for a bit - and come back - I'll be logged out.
6. Additionally, when I log in and click get new - it shows 11 pages, each time, of new posts. If I get new again - it shows the new posts accurately.

I can't say with certainty who gets the blame for 5 and 6.

Safari is my go to browser - so I'm sensitive to the performance changes. I haven't observed any negative change in browsing or site navigation speed.

Edit: Don't forget to watch Robduckworth's must see video of Safari 5.1 :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My point -- that you guys both seem to miss -- is not unprovable at all. Google exists to sell advertising. That is their purpose, their raison d'etre, their mission.
No one is disputing that. That said, not everything they do is driven by a need to increase advertising revenue.

Everything they do -- absolutely EVERY.THING. -- is in service to collecting information about you so that they can target advertising to you more effectively. They have no purpose as a company, and make an overwhelming majority of their income from this activity.
I hope you don't use Google to make web searches and I hope you don't recommend GMail if it is so invasive. That's not to mention you're previous lauding of GMail and you're explicit statement that you would probably use GMail if you didn't use MM. Either the company is entirely "evil" or you're just selective with what you want to consider problematic.

Google didn't give you a shiny new browser because they like you. They gave you a shiny new browser to aid their collection of data about you. If you're okay with that, enjoy! I personally prefer to limit the amount of personal data collected about me to something I am more aware of, and give permission to and/or manage with more control on my end (which I may or may not exercise as I wish). I also prefer to use a web browser from companies that don't data-mine what I do on that web browser. My choice.
Apple didn't give you a shiny new browser because they love you. Do you think Apple had altruistic intent in releasing Safari?

If you're concerned about personal data being collected about you, why do you have a LinkedIn profile, Facebook profile (who's in the use every second day over privacy concerns) or an ehMac profile that lists your immigration and marital status, an age range, your location and where you found the site (not so much ironically anymore, it was Google)? Not to mention your Blogger profile which has your MM email address listed. If you were truly as concerned about privacy online as you suggest, it would have taken me more than five minutes to find all of that info.

Reaction score
No one is disputing that. That said, not everything they do is driven by a need to increase advertising revenue.

I hope you don't use Google to make web searches and I hope you don't recommend GMail if it is so invasive. That's not to mention you're previous lauding of GMail and you're explicit statement that you would probably use GMail if you didn't use MM. Either the company is entirely "evil" or you're just selective with what you want to consider problematic.

Apple didn't give you a shiny new browser because they love you. Do you think Apple had altruistic intent in releasing Safari?

If you're concerned about personal data being collected about you, why do you have a LinkedIn profile, Facebook profile (who's in the use every second day over privacy concerns) or an ehMac profile that lists your immigration and marital status, an age range, your location and where you found the site (not so much ironically anymore, it was Google)? Not to mention your Blogger profile which has your MM email address listed. If you were truly as concerned about privacy online as you suggest, it would have taken me more than five minutes to find all of that info.

lol! wow...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 in. iMac i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Mt. Lion 10.8.2
I think sometimes people just don't notice changes in performance as others do. The glitches I've documented thus far:
[deleted for brevity.]
Safari is my go to browser - so I'm sensitive to the performance changes. I haven't observed any negative change in browsing or site navigation speed.

Edit: Don't forget to watch Robduckworth's must see video of Safari 5.1 :D

Thanks, Brian. I know that a lot is getting by me as a new user. Trying to rehab from a stroke doesn't help my learning curve either, :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.