MBA SSD Ghosting?

Reaction score
Will I get system disks with a MBA in order to do a recovery?

If I replace the Apple SSD with the OWC version how will I "ghost" from one to the other?

Thanks

Mike

Reaction score
MBA comes with no discs at all. Recoveries are now done OTA or from a recovery partition that Lion installs. To upgrade the SSD you can put the OWC in an external and clone your Apple ssd and then just pop right in.

OP
M
Reaction score
MBA comes with no discs at all. Recoveries are now done OTA or from a recovery partition that Lion installs. To upgrade the SSD you can put the OWC in an external and clone your Apple ssd and then just pop right in.

What do you mean "put the OWC in an external?"

Is the "clone" software something extra that must be purchased?

With my Windows backup software I have a complete system/data backup on an external HD. I can completely restore everything by booting from a CD and running the backup software from the CD to do the restore. Will I be able to do something similar with the MBA?

Thanks.

Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You would need an external carrier to place the OWC drive in and then use software to clone the SSD to the OWC drive before making the swap. Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper can create a bootable clone a la Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. CCC is donation ware, while SuperDuper is shareware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.