Web browsers REALLY slow, everything else fine. Why?

Reaction score
I have two MacBookPros. On this one, everything's running fine and the internet browsers, Safari and Chrome, both open, browse, and close at normal speed, as do the other applications. On the other machine however, all the other applications work fine but Firefox opens, browses and closes incredibly slowly and although Safari opens and closes at a normal speed, its browsing too is incredibly slow. I have tested the two machines side by side.

i have Verified Disk Permissions and restarted but that didn't help. The hard disk is not full. So any ideas anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Are they both using the same DNS servers? Also, try restarting Firefox without extensions and see if it improves in other performance.

OP
N
Reaction score
Hello Mike. They both have the same DNS. How do I start Firefox without extension?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Help > Restart Firefox with add-ons disabled.

OP
N
Reaction score
Hello Mike,

I've looked in the Preferences and it says I don't have any Add-Ons.

OP
N
Reaction score
And again... I've looked again and the Add-Ons Manager says I have 2,569,645,933 Add-Ons downloaded! Can this be right? How do I just save my Bookmarks and start again?

Still can't work out how to restart Firefox without the Add-Ons though.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yeah, there aren't 2.5 billion extensions. ;)

Hold down option while you open Firefox. You should get a dialog similar to the attached one here. When you do, make sure "Disable all add-ons" is checked.

(Ignore the fact that it says Nightly - I run the nightly builds and not the stable version.)

firefox_safe_mode.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.