• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

i need an OS X vs. windows article!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
I am starting a project for my freshmen english class and i thought that this would be a good subject to do it on. I need comparisons basically on the OS and anything that is good and bad about both sides.

Links would be very nice. adn teh longer the article the better.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Umm. How about a 3 word essay...

MAC IS BETTER!

That do ya any good? lol

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
DCraver said:
Umm. How about a 3 word essay...

MAC IS BETTER!

That do ya any good? lol

That was my first thought but then i saw that it had to be 2-3 pages long. I could put one work on each page...but i might get docked points for that.

Good thought though!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Haha yeah. Just write the major stong points of OSX, Windows, Linux, compare and contrast them and summarize which one you favor for and why in the conclusion.

See? I gave you a good paper outline and I'm only in the 8th grade! I is so smartizzle, bizzle. f'sho, cuz. haha Tee hee hee.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Google is always your friend try this
CLICK ME!

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
inflexion said:
Google is always your friend try this
CLICK ME!

Thank you. I used google and came up with most of those. I was just wondering if anyone on the forum had a preference for one or the other.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
I am sure that there are plenty of peeps on here that can help you and work with both Windoze and OSX. I don't know if you have read this but I guess there may be a little bias in it..http://www.apple.com/switch/

I think that if I was doing comparisons that you are, I would look at the different level of users as I am sure that this will have some bearing on what OS is preferential.

If you are a user who want to be able to plug in and play and have no hassles of viiruses etc then you will probably find OSX better.

If you happen to work within Media, Design and Advertising then you might fing that mac's are the industry standard.

If you are a user that wants to fiddle about with your operating system and or want to be able to have choice in your machines components then you may go with Windoze..

I hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
hmm why not try xvsxp.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah - xvsxp.com has got to be the definitive guide out there....

F

falltime

Aptmunich said:
Yeah - xvsxp.com has got to be the definitive guide out there....

Except for that is horrendously biased towards OS X, and is hardly ever referenced by PC enthusiasts... the only people that ever seem to mention it's name are Mac users - which would lead most to believe that a large majority of the input and donations the site is receiving is from Mac users. Also if you visit the forums - most of the posters are Mac users. In fact, there’s a thread named "What do you appreciate about the OTHER platform?" and every single one of the posts references Windows.

It'd be easy to say that the reason behind the site's larger popularity with Mac users is that Windows users just don't care. Which I think is a great paradigm for the debate on a full scale.

Robert Rodriguez, computer geek extraordinaire and blockbuster filmmaker put it quite well in and interview discussing his preference for Windows PCs over Macs, when he said "....it’s just subjective, I prefer what suits me. Who knows where it comes from? Really... I mean, they start the debate, we just end it...."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I don't know - I've read through quite a bit of xvsxp and it seems quite fairly balanced to me...
Although the author does admit he prefers macs, often I find myself thinking that he gives XP points on things I wouldn't have.

At least it's a good starting point to find a thorough comparison of the OS's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 17.in screen. 1.8GHz, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
well i think it biased cos pc users know that their comps suck and they cant do anything about it cos of tight budget , work requirements , etc. theyd be mac users too yknow if it wasnt for those things and frankly they couldnt care about what they use because a computer is a computer by any other name. just that we lucky lot use better computers thats all hahaha

F

falltime

nicklwj said:
well i think it biased cos pc users know that their comps suck and they cant do anything about it cos of tight budget , work requirements , etc. theyd be mac users too yknow if it wasnt for those things and frankly they couldnt care about what they use because a computer is a computer by any other name. just that we lucky lot use better computers thats all hahaha

Robert Rodriguez is on a tight budget???????????

Maybe my standard of living is a bit skewed, but I'd like to think that the 10 million dollars he was paid to make Sin City would be at least enough to buy a decent computer.

Also keep in mind that there are millions of PC users out their that pay for way more for their PC's then they could ever pay for a Mac... A close friend of mine just purchased a X2 4600+ Manchester w/ dual 7800GTX's in SLI costing him well over $1800 for just the processor and video cards - NOTHING ELSE. After everything, his box ended up costing him around $4500, not inlcuding any kind of display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.