RAM versus Processor Speed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
I'm running a late 2009 Mac Mini 2.26 Ghz with 2 GB RAM and Snow Leopard. It's struggling a little, well more than a little, running Parallels with Windows XP on 500 MB of the RAM. My needs are relatively simple. I'm a web-browser and writer, using Scrivener, Office and various editing programmes, Windows and Mac. I'm not involved in any image manipulation, music editing etc. My question is this. Should I max out my RAM to 4GB or upgrade to the latest Mac Mini and increase RAM to 8GB (I would in any case revert to the faster Snow Leopard)? And to what extent will a faster processor speed up my machine given the type of work I do? I'm a bit confused how RAM and processor differ in their speeding up of the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
So IMHO, a simple RAM upgrade to your current system would be fine for your needs. You should have at least a couple years before a new system would give you a substantial improvement.

To answer your question about the difference between RAM and CPU, I usually explain it like this:

CPU = how fast your system is
RAM = how much you can do at a time

CPU upgrade will always give you a noticeable improvement.
RAM upgrade will only be noticeable if you don't have enough memory for your current needs. Finding the peak for your usage and system will help. Generally, 4GB is the current peak for most casual users. Most users will not benefit right now from more than that. However, RAM requirements seem to increase fairly steadily. Over the next couple years, 4GB will most likely become a bit on the low end for steady performance and 8GB will begin to become the next standard.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
Thanks MikeM. Just to clarify things further, are you saying I would notice a speed difference with a major CPU upgrade even though I'm only using word processing? And second, do you think 4GB would be more than enough even running Parallels?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I have been running Windows 7 with 1GB of Virtual RAM and it works just fine. Depends on what kind of applications you are running. Most computers come standard with 4GB of RAM. It doesn't make your applications run any faster just smoother with less beach balls and hiccups.

You can't upgrade the CPU on your Mini as it's Soldered to the board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
Thanks MikeM. Just to clarify things further, are you saying I would notice a speed difference with a major CPU upgrade even though I'm only using word processing? And second, do you think 4GB would be more than enough even running Parallels?

Yes, you would notice an improvement with a new Mac Mini, the question really is do you require a new system or not. The speed improvements would be most noticeable in boot time, application loading and overall responsiveness. However, is a second or two faster boot time and a little zippier experience worth between $600 and $1400?

Usually not.

On the other hand, a RAM upgrade for your Mac is only $66 for 8GB (Which your system can unofficially handle and is 4x the system requirements of Parallels and double what most users are running so it would definitely eliminate any memory deficiencies you may be encountering and future proof you a bit longer)

Mac mini "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 (Late 2009) Specs (Late 2009, MC238LL/A, Macmini3,1, A1283, 2336) @ EveryMac.com

Computer memory upgrades for Apple Mac mini (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz) DDR3 - Late 2009 Desktop/PC from Crucial.com

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Yes, you would notice an improvement with a new Mac Mini, the question really is do you require a new system or not. The speed improvements would be most noticeable in boot time, application loading and overall responsiveness. However, is a second or two faster boot time and a little zippier experience worth between $600 and $1400?

Usually not.

On the other hand, a RAM upgrade for your Mac is only $66 for 8GB (Which your system can unofficially handle and is 4x the system requirements of Parallels and double what most users are running so it would definitely eliminate any memory deficiencies you may be encountering and future proof you a bit longer)

Mac mini "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 (Late 2009) Specs (Late 2009, MC238LL/A, Macmini3,1, A1283, 2336) @ EveryMac.com

Computer memory upgrades for Apple Mac mini (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz) DDR3 - Late 2009 Desktop/PC from Crucial.com

-MikeM

I agree with everything Mike says here. I'd spring for the memory and see how you feel after installing it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
Thanks guys. Very helpful. I'm not sure I feel confident to upgrade the RAM myself - sounds very difficult - but even with added labour costs it sounds worthwhile . . . and I still have fifteen months left on my Apple Care.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.