Where are the White MacBooks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Version 10.5.8 Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo:iPod Touch 4th Gen. Wi-Fi 8GB of memory.
I'm looking to buy a new MacBook (mainly for gaming) to go along with my iMac desktop, thunder bolt as well as the new HD graphics chip looks exciting but I don't want to spend 1,700 dollars for a computer with a screen bigger than 13 inches. I've been looking through the apple website and I can't find a regular MacBook anywhere, only pros and airs. Does apple no longer make white MacBooks, or am I not looking in the right places. Links and comments are always great.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm looking to buy a new MacBook (mainly for gaming) to go along with my iMac desktop, thunder bolt as well as the new HD graphics chip looks exciting but I don't want to spend 1,700 dollars for a computer with a screen bigger than 13 inches. I've been looking through the apple website and I can't find a regular MacBook anywhere, only pros and airs. Does apple no longer make white MacBooks, or am I not looking in the right places. Links and comments are always great.

Answered your own question. They have been replaced by the MBA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Answered your own question. They have been replaced by the MBA.

Wait, so...there's no longer just a "Macbook" anymore? You have to get either an ultra-portable MBA, which some people may not need, and want a DVD drive, or a freakin Ethernet port for that matter. Or you can get a MBP, which may be overkill for some people.

:Confused:

I can understand killing off the plastic MacBooks, but I hope Apple makes a replacement aluminum one or something.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wait, so...there's no longer just a "Macbook" anymore? You have to get either an ultra-portable MBA, which some people may not need, and want a DVD drive, or a freakin Ethernet port for that matter. Or you can get a MBP, which may be overkill for some people.

I can understand killing off the plastic MacBooks, but I hope Apple makes a replacement aluminum one or something.

The MBA does everything a MB can do but read a disk.*(Remedied by external superdrive for the MBA) >_>" I don't use my superdrive that often, but other people might.

Replacement aluminum one would be the Unibody Macbooks or a MBP technically. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3

The 13" MBP really is the successor to the MB. It's the only Pro model to not offer discrete graphics and before the Sandy Bridge refresh, it was nearly the same hardware anyways. I personally think that the new offerings make more sense and that the MB was ready to go away. The plastic white case was a bit of an oddity as well since even the iPad has an aluminum shell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
The MBA does everything a MB can do but read a disk.*(Remedied by external superdrive for the MBA) >_>" I don't use my superdrive that often, but other people might.

Replacement aluminum one would be the Unibody Macbooks or a MBP technically. >_>"

But what if you want to: Watch a movie, Use an external mouse, and use the ethernet port at the same time? Get a slow USB hub? What if you want to sit in the car and watch a DVD? It just seems awkward to have to drag a DVD drive along with you... and why have to pay the price of a MBP when you don't need the extra processing power?

Also, just think about it. You have a MacBook Air a MacBook Pro, but no MacBook? Huh? :|

I didn't see any i3 processor machines when I last went to Apple's website. If they had just put an Intel i3 in the white Macbook, and bumped the price down a little, I think it would've made a more practical machine for a lot more people. IMHO.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But what if you want to: Watch a movie, Use an external mouse, and use the ethernet port at the same time? Get a slow USB hub? What if you want to sit in the car and watch a DVD? It just seems awkward to have to drag a DVD drive along with you... and why have to pay the price of a MBP when you don't need the extra processing power?

Also, just think about it. You have a MacBook Air a MacBook Pro, but no MacBook? Huh? :|

I didn't see any i3 processor machines when I last went to Apple's website. If they had just put an Intel i3 in the white Macbook, and bumped the price down a little, I think it would've made a more practical machine for a lot more people. IMHO.

Unfortunately that's not how Apple works. They tell you what you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Sure because the extra $150 or so the 13" MacBook Pro costs for a machine that's 100X better than the Macbook is certainly not practical right?

OP
PcKiller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Version 10.5.8 Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo:iPod Touch 4th Gen. Wi-Fi 8GB of memory.
Is the 15 inch pro worth the money?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
Go to a local Apple store, macmall or Bestbuy soon and you can still get one, or buy a refurbished.

OP
PcKiller
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dysfunction
Worth the money for?

Gaming, Mainly stuff like World of Warcraft.;P

Reaction score
Gaming, Mainly stuff like World of Warcraft.;P
Well, if you want it for that then you'd want the dedicated graphics, faster CPU, and more RAM (up to a maximum of 8GB) of a MacBook Pro anyway...

A regular MacBook, even with the RAM maxed-out at 4GB, wouldn't cut it for that purpose...

If you're on somewhat of a budget, get the 13" MBP with the basic 4GB of RAM; if that's not fast enough, upgrade it to 6 or 8GB yourself (cheaper than Apple's upgrades offered at purchase).

Good luck, & happy computing :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

Here's the thing... MacBook's only ever came in 13"...
So the extra 150-200 dollars, you get a 13" MacBook Pro, which is much better then the previous plastic Macbook's.

If you did in fact want a 15" computer, then the only option has always been a MacBookPro.

As far as the MacBookAir's, yes not having an optical drive will suck for some people but I can't remember the last time I used mine and my guess a majority of people are on the same boat.

You can always get this external MacBookAir SuperDrive. Keep it in your computer bag just in case.
If your planning a trip and want to watch movies, just rip them to your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Another way of looking at it is no company ever killed one of their best selling products
with the cost difference not being enough to deter sales the MBP13 and Air probably canalized the MB sales not to mention stories of discoloration and cracking hinges adding to warrantable situations that cut into profits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
One other thing to mention. The 11" MBA is the same price as the whitebook was. Currently the 13" MBA is actually more expensive than the 13" MBP. So, if you don't want an 11" screen the 13" MBP certainly is worth the couple hundred bucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
I think Apple is going to replace the white macbook with something new. Apple is the master at marketing and just pulling macbook off the shelves and saying just buy either the pro or air doesn't seem like something they would do. An 11" air is not a replacement for a laptop. The it's only $200 more for a pro argument falls flat because the white macbook probably gets new users who are comparing $699 to $799 pc's, who may then decide for another $200 to$300 I can try a macbook. Now it's $400 to $500 more. Apple would make more money selling the entry macbook because most probably then go buy a pro in 2 years. So Apple sold 2 computers to you. Now you have no need to buy a new one in 2 years since your specs are so good you won't need to, so Apple loses money. I say bye Xmass you'll see a $999 or less mac laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I think Apple is going to replace the white macbook with something new. Apple is the master at marketing and just pulling macbook off the shelves and saying just buy either the pro or air doesn't seem like something they would do. An 11" air is not a replacement for a laptop. The it's only $200 more for a pro argument falls flat because the white macbook probably gets new users who are comparing $699 to $799 pc's, who may then decide for another $200 to$300 I can try a macbook. Now it's $400 to $500 more. Apple would make more money selling the entry macbook because most probably then go buy a pro in 2 years. So Apple sold 2 computers to you. Now you have no need to buy a new one in 2 years since your specs are so good you won't need to, so Apple loses money. I say bye Xmass you'll see a $999 or less mac laptop.

If this were the case then they would have refreshed the line not delete it.
They must have lost sales to other models would not be surprised if it was to
entry level iMac's there is a lot of bang for the buck there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Big Sur V.11.2.3 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2019) 3.1GHz 6 Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB DDR4 SSD,
Apple controls you!

Unfortunately that's not how Apple works. They tell you what you want.

Why were they so secretive about it? Not a word to anyone saying they were abandoning the MB. It was ranked #1 in CR for years and the most popular sell on the Apple store forever, then it just vanished for the more expensive MBP & MBA. I take it the support for it has also been eliminated, right? Why not... like you said, Apple tells you what you want and need!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.