OS X Lion and Lightroom problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
Is anyone else having problems with Lightroom 3 running with Lion? I've had two kernel panic shutdowns on my MacBook Pro since installing Lion (never had a kernel panic using Snow Leopard), and a few occasions where Lightroom simply crashes and closes. Just wondering if I'm the only one or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
what're you doing when you get the panics? I'll try and reproduce.

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2010 13", iPod Touch 4th gen., AirPort Extreme, Mini G4, iPod 30GB w/video
Wow, funny thing (not) - as I was starting my reply I opened LR to try to recall the command names of what caused some of the panics, and I had another one. It hadn't even loaded yet!

Anyhow, I didn't make note of exactly what I was doing when the others were caused, but I do know they were different tasks. One time I believe I was using the clone tool, another time I was switching windows back and forth to Aperture (I'm currently comparing the two). There's no rhyme or reason - it just crashes or causes a kernel panic for no reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Thanks for the warning of sorts. If LR isn't stable in Lion then I definitely can't switch over for good at this point.

Doug

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's another post I notice where someone is have some PS Elements problems with Lion. Seems like Adobe and Lion aren't getting along too well right now (not like Apple and Adobe have ever really liked each other anyhow).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't had a problem, yet, with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, or Lightroom since upgrading to Lion. I've had horrendous battery issues.. but no application issues (knock on wood). I'll putz with it later this week and see if I can't get the thing to panic. Any of them :)

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe this has something to do with new RAM I installed 3 days ago (2 x 2 GB to 2 x 4 GB), 2 days after I installed Lion; I've also only had LR on my system for about a week. But when I go to About This Mac --> System Report --> Memory, it gives the status of my RAM as "OK".

The panics have only occurred since the RAM was installed, and now I remember that one of them occurred while I was opening Firefox, but I didn't play much with Lightroom until after the RAM was installed, so I wonder if the RAM is indeed OK; maybe it's not Lightroom after all, but then it doesn't appear to be the RAM, either.

I'm so confused; no kernel panics in the first year of owning my MB Pro, and now several in the past 3 days.::[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
swap the old RAM back in and see if the panics go away. If so, there's your problem. Since the RAM's new though, getting it replaced should be a no brainer if that's the case :)

OP
iWish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Mike, I went beyond your suggestion and, after some Google searching, ran my Apple Hardware Test DVD with only one of the new 4 GB RAM sticks, and then just the other, and found out that one was faulty. I confirmed my results by running Rember; after a few seconds, the faulty stick struck out again, whereas the good stick ran well into the second loop before I determined that it was indeed good.

So now I have the good 4GB combined with one of the original 2GB until I can get a replacement for the bad 4GB. I've been doing the same intensive sort of things the past couple of hours, and no more panics. I'm glad this seems to be over with!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 8GB, 1TB, i5, iPad2
I too, have had numerous shutdowns while using LR3 with Lion! I've been using LR since I bought my iMac in Feb of this year..no problems. And then, I installed Lion, and coincidently, upgraded my ram from 4 gb to 12 gb, let the crashes begin. I have checked my new ram and they are not the culprit. With regards to what I'm doing in LR when it happens, it's usually always while editing (develop mode). I get the downward scrolling screen and instructions to hold the power button until it shuts down. Following the reboot, it works for awhile, but I'm rapidly losing confidence in its ability to stay as my primary photo editing program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you swapped the old RAM back in and tried?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.