Minecraft will not run with OSX lion

Reaction score
Possible solution!!

I have struggled with this problem for a couple of months now, and then i decided to try to fix it one more time.

This is what i did:

1. rightclick on the minecraft application
2. click on the second line from the top (i am using norwegian language on my iMac, so i am not sure what it's called in english)
3. open the "contents" folder
4. open the "resources" folder
5. open the "java" folder
6. Doubleclick on "MinecraftLauncher.jar"

It worked for me, but minecraft was lagging really bad so it was difficult to play.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
Oh! You should have said earlier! I had that problem in snow. Here's the fix.

Go to terminal, and type in:

chmod +x

Then go to minecraft, application contence, MacOS, and drag the "javaapplicationstub" to terminal, and hit enter. Works perfectly.

Reaction score
I have the same problem where it worked on os snow leopard but when i upgraded, i couldt play. after i download the game and click on it, it bounces like normal, but lasts a long time before it stops. if i click during the bouncing, it goes away. and if i click after it bounces, it goes away too.
I just tried and i can play with Pelleoskar's way but i wish i could make it run normally.
I tried doing what Sajid Ansari's way but i get this
"(...)Minecraft/Minecraft.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub: Permission denied"
so i dont know how to use your way.
I'm also on a mac book pro 13'' from 2009, i've heard those might have a problem with minecraft on os lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Early 2008, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
I have the same problem where it worked on os snow leopard but when i upgraded, i couldt play. after i download the game and click on it, it bounces like normal, but lasts a long time before it stops. if i click during the bouncing, it goes away. and if i click after it bounces, it goes away too.
I just tried and i can play with Pelleoskar's way but i wish i could make it run normally.
I tried doing what Sajid Ansari's way but i get this
"(...)Minecraft/Minecraft.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub: Permission denied"
so i dont know how to use your way.
I'm also on a mac book pro 13'' from 2009, i've heard those might have a problem with minecraft on os lion.

hm... Your problem was identical to mine. Use an admin account when trying the terminal command, and if that doesn't work, drag the MacOS folder in its entirety to the terminal. It worked like magic for me.

Reaction score
Actualy I didnt do it right the first time. Its type "chmod +x " (with a space) then drag on the same line and then press enter.
I didnt have to put the folder, the javaapplicationstub worked.

It worked amazing, Thank you so much Sajid Ansari :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your welcome, although a little google searching never hurts.

Reaction score
Minecraft issue

I am using a 2009 Macbook running Lion. I am trying to play minecraft in the browser, and it will not work. I downloaded the Java 2012-003 update and restarted my internet browser, but the game refuses to cooperate. Help?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Make sure applet support is enabled. Go to /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app and make sure the "Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications" checkbox is checked under General.

Reaction score
Make sure applet support is enabled. Go to /Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences.app and make sure the "Enable applet plug-in and Web Start applications" checkbox is checked under General.

I checked and it was already enabled. Let me be a little more clear. When I press "Single Player" under the homepage (minecraft.net) and I am directed to Minecraft , Java immediately begins to do its thing. But then I get this message:

"An applet from "s3.amazonaws.com" is requesting access to your computer.

The digital signature could not be verified."

Here I am given the choices "Allow" or "Deny". I press "Allow" and Java continues to work. But then, I get ANOTHER message reading:

"The application's digital signature has an error. Do you want to run the application?

Name: org.lwjgl.util.applet.AppletLoader

Publisher: Mojang AB

Here I am given the choices "Cancel" or "Run". When I choose "Run", the pop-up disappears, but Java seems to stop working for whatever reason.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It looks like it's failing because "file://" is an incomplete URL. In essence, it's saying the following: "Load something from the filesystem (file://)..." and forgets to mention what to load.

You can try clearing the cache for your browser. That would be an easy first step.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Another thing to note, the minecraft browser version is old as rocks. No updates and they aren't renewing the certificate that marks it as safe. Which explains why it thinks the signature has an error.

You can try this, but I can't get it to work either.
7. I can't play in browser.
It's a bug in Apple's Java plugin, but there's a work around: A moment after you clicked one of the links to play in browser, press and hold shift and command (⇧⌘), with your mouse within the region you expect the black Java frame to appear. Make sure your mouse pointer is not in region of the security alert. The Java region will get a titlebar after a moment, even if the alert is in front. Grab that titlebar and drag it a bit, still holding shift and command. Release the keys and respond to the alerts. Once you get visual output in the Java window you may close the browser window.

Reaction score
Oh! You should have said earlier! I had that problem in snow. Here's the fix.

Go to terminal, and type in:

chmod +x

Then go to minecraft, application contence, MacOS, and drag the "javaapplicationstub" to terminal, and hit enter. Works perfectly.

I have the same problem the only way I am able to play it is by right clicking and go to java and click on the launcher. This works but i have no sound. I try doing this above and it says "mission denied" so i was wondering what is the problem or if you can help.

Reaction score
I can't play on browser either.

I have tried the whole press shift + command and drag. It worked then a week or so later I did something to my computer (God only knows what) and I can't do it anymore. I am getting a little fed up because I want to play multiplayer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.