• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

apple customer service is horrible!

P

psycho_drama

my powerbook g4 17" 1.5 ghz needed servicing. the HD went dead. so i take it to a local apple service provider and boom! they tell me my powerbook is out of warranty.

so i scratch my head and say "well the receipt i have here clearly states that it was purchased on october 1, 2004" and makes my powerbook still warranty.

then they tell me to contact apple to straighten out the situation. so i call apple, they tell me to fax them the receipt. so i do that. i call back the next day, they have no record of the fax. so i fax it again, they have it. they will "escalate" the incident so it should be updated by today, monday.

i call again, today, they tell me it's still not updated and will take 6 to 9 business days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all they need to do is look at the fax and SEE that the powerbook was purchased on october 1, 2004 and change the purchase date in their system. meanwhile, my powerbook sits at the local repair center waiting for the "ok" from apple. UGH!!!!

i am a graphic designer and i need my powerbook!

while these tools from apple drag their sweet feet on my powerbook, i am missing deadlines and such. and on top of all this, i lost several important files from this fiasco.

UGH! thanks for letting me vent. has anyone had similar date of purchase issues with apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
psycho_drama said:
UGH! thanks for letting me vent. has anyone had similar date of purchase issues with apple?

Did you purchase the PowerBook directly from Apple or from a third party?

I had issues when I purchased my first iBook from MacMall because MacMall didn't send Apple the information correctly. In most cases I'd say it's the third party's fault and not Apple.

Now why it takes 6-9 days for Apple to fix it after they have proof I have no clue. But since I work in a very process driven field, it's not as uncommon for things like that to be the case as you might think.

OP
P

psycho_drama

schweb said:
Did you purchase the PowerBook directly from Apple or from a third party?

I had issues when I purchased my first iBook from MacMall because MacMall didn't send Apple the information correctly. In most cases I'd say it's the third party's fault and not Apple.

Now why it takes 6-9 days for Apple to fix it after they have proof I have no clue. But since I work in a very process driven field, it's not as uncommon for things like that to be the case as you might think.

first, thanks for the reply...

my frustration is when i spoke with someone from the agreement admin, he told me the incident would be taken care of by monday (today). and the person(s) i spoke with today told me they had no record of it.

i did purchase the powerbook at compusa...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Go to support.apple.com and look towards the bottom of the page on the right. Enter your serial number and it will tell you what your warranty status is. If it says you're under warranty, there's no argument.

Good luck!

Reaction score
I bought an Ibook from Microcenter that turned out to be sold to a school that didn't take delivery on it. It was 900mhz 12in and it had the know screen issues. When I contacted Apple they said "Out of Warranty", No way Jose. I faxed them the receipt and they cleared it up in about 2 or 3 business days. Since my issue was an extended warranty thing though, I was able to send it in for repair anyway.

Be sure to keep names and dates in case they try to say, sorry it's Oct 2nd, too late.

ed724

OP
S

scauntay

to make sure you dont lose any more files and whatnot that you need, a good thing to buy would be an external HD. a **** of a lot better than saving everything on your computer to a million cds or a bunch of dvds. hope everyting works out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.