Printing connected to router using Canon Pixma iP4500?

Reaction score
Recently I discovered that I could not print satisfactorily with my Macbook Pro 2011 when my Canon Pixma iP4500 was connected to my QNAP TS439 Pro server. QNAP Systems, Inc. ( TS-439 Pro Turbo NAS ) - Quality Network Appliance Provider the problem appears to be with the Canon iP4500 driver. It just will not print! The compromise is to use the iP4300 Guten driver. This only prints in Black or perhaps I should say there is an occasional hint of colour that is barely discernible.

I am in the market for a new Dual band N wireless router because the Netgear DG834G is getting long in the tooth . I am unsure whether to purchase the latest Apple Extreme or one of the later dual wireless routers from Netgear or another manufacturer. This review is not very helpful. Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (dual-band) Review | Misc | CNET UK
I am going to configure my Netgear 834G v4 purely as the necessary modem if I purchase the Apple extreme router or one that does not have an ADSL 2+ modem inside it .

My questions are:

1. Given the problem I have described above with canon drivers, am I likely to come across the same problem with printing this canon when I hook the printer up to an Apple Extreme? Perhaps I should bite the bullet and look for an alternative.

2. I use on my Windows network a Netgear Prosafe 8 Port Gigabit switch. I presume there will be no problem coupling this up to an Apple Extreme?

Can anyone offer advice on these subjects please.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.