clean Lion install & Time Machine backup

Reaction score
Greetings

I have a 6 week old MP Pro that I installed my free Lion install on he other day.
I made a bootable disk of Lion so I can do a clean install.

Being a MAC newbie I have some questions

On my Windows PCs I always preferred a clean install of a OS, I prefer to do the same with Lion. Is that overkill on my part?

Once I do the clean install how do I restore my machine using my time machine back up?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
On my Windows PCs I always preferred a clean install of a OS, I prefer to do the same with Lion. Is that overkill on my part?

Some will say yes, some will say no. I usually just upgrade. For Lion I initially upgraded, but I then I did a clean install just to try it out so I could help answer questions. In my case, I saw no stability or speed difference between the two. Others say they did see a difference.

Once I do the clean install how do I restore my machine using my time machine back up?

It will ask you during the setup process if you want to restore from a Time Machine backup.

OP
R
Reaction score
Some will say yes, some will say no. I usually just upgrade. For Lion I initially upgraded, but I then I did a clean install just to try it out so I could help answer questions. In my case, I saw no stability or speed difference between the two. Others say they did see a difference.

It will ask you during the setup process if you want to restore from a Time Machine backup.

Thank You

Reaction score
Time Machine

I upgraded to Lion (straight upgrade, did not clean install). I have read around the web about people having similar speed issues that I am having (getting really tired of the spinning ball).

My question about Time Machine, if I have a full back up of a Lion system, do a clean install and then Restore my Back up, won't I just bring back whatever was bugging my system in the backup? Only reason I am trying to use the time machine backup is that I don't want to have to go through the process of reinstalling the Adobe Creative suite (it takes forever) and I have work to do...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
While it's true that your Time Machine backup will restore all your applications and settings, you need to understand that it will not overwrite system files and kernel extensions that are already in place from the clean install. That's the real purpose of doing a clean install. Additionally, any fragmentation of the drive that was incurred with the upgrade will be removed.

A clean install may speed things up for you and remove any of the little glitches that are left over from the upgrade to Lion from Snow Leopard. Just make sure you have a good Time Machine backup before doing a clean install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Is there a simple way to ensure a Time Machine is good? I really don't want/know how to set up external drives and clone stuff and all that jazz. I think it's perfectly fine, but who knows

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine will report back to you if it encounters any errors while making the backup. Additionally, you can open Time Machine and from the Finder like dialog, you can navigate and see all your folders and files. It should reflect what's on your hard drive.

When doing a clean install, it's always a good idea to use both Time Machine and cloning. But that's up to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.