Preview is not rendering fonts well in PDFs

Reaction score
Hi,

For some reason Preview is not rendering fonts well in PDFs. I have created high quality PDFs using two applications (Illustrator CS5 and Numbers '09) and in both cases the fonts are not rendering correctly in Preview. They generally look much less sharp. I am attaching screenshots below, with the original image first and then the PDF in Preview.

2011-07-24_19-01-56.png

2011-07-24_19-04-03.png

When I look at the same PDFs in Acrobat Pro the fonts look fine, so I am presuming that the issue is with Preview. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks,

Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Does not surprise me. I've seen a lot of rendering issues with preview and PDF's. This is actually one of the least objectionable, if you'll believe that.

You could open a defect with Apple regarding it and see if they fix it.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks. I can now see that I had 'show print view' selected in Numbers '09. When I don't have this turned on the font in question doesn't look right in Numbers '09 either, whereas the others fonts I tested do, which now makes me think that the issue is font related. The font is a True Type font.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.