The Lion Quirks Thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I decided to disable Time Machine's Mobilebackups. The thing was absolutely chewing up free disk space.

I've also noticed that my Desktop icons which are aliases keep losing their graphic image randomly. In my case, there is an alias to VMware Fusion. Every so often I notice it's graphic disappears leaving only an outline of it's shape and the text below it. When I bring up it's information in the contextual menu, the graphic reappears. Weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I decided to disable Time Machine's Mobilebackups. The thing was absolutely chewing up free disk space.

Saaaaay…. I wonder if that's what's causing Dysfunction's battery life issues.

EDIT: It's not. He already tested that idea out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've also noticed that my Desktop icons which are aliases keep losing their graphic image randomly. In my case, there is an alias to VMware Fusion. Every so often I notice it's graphic disappears leaving only an outline of it's shape and the text below it. When I bring up it's information in the contextual menu, the graphic reappears. Weird.

That just now happened to me. It's iCal in my Dock. I see the date, but the rest of it is very translucent. More so than if I had it hidden.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I've noticed the delay when waking up the computer, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 quad core, 8GB, 2TBHD, ATI 5750
Maybe it's just me, but when Mail is in fullscreen mode and you click the new message icon the new mail window slides up from the bottom of the screen. Cool, right? However, where's the address button? IOW, how do you select recipients others than typing names, etc., which is a royal pain.

Fullscreen shot. Notice there's no address book shortcut/toolbar button.
76516287.png

I've tried customizing the fullscreen toolbar but I can't seem to figure how.

Regular screen mode. Notice there is a address book shortcut/toolbar button.
reglh.png

Is this just me?

The only way Ive been able to do it is by using option/command/A for the address pane

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Maybe it's just me, but when Mail is in fullscreen mode and you click the new message icon the new mail window slides up from the bottom of the screen. Cool, right? However, where's the address button? IOW, how do you select recipients others than typing names, etc., which is a royal pain.

I've tried customizing the fullscreen toolbar but I can't seem to figure how.

Regular screen mode. Notice there is a address book shortcut/toolbar button.

Is this just me?

Does it here also. I customized the bar in normal screen mode but when going to full screen, that button is not there.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The Address button stays there for me when in full screen.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Address button stays there for me when in full screen.

It must like you Bob! :D Tried it here many times and it's like the OP's.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, done tried removing it and adding it several times with Mail in windowed and full screen mode. Can't get mine to duplicate that bug at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That just now happened to me. It's iCal in my Dock. I see the date, but the rest of it is very translucent. More so than if I had it hidden.

Well iCal now has a normal icon in my Dock again. I'm not sure why, but here's a couple things I've done since then (for other reasons) that "shouldn't" have had an effect on this, but who knows? Firstly, I removed MacPorts. Whatever it was that I had installed it for, I'm not using it now, so I whacked it. It probably needed updating for Lion anyway. I also disabled Spotlight, deleted the index, then re-enabled it (all through TinkerTool System). I don't know if or how these may have had an effect on the icon thing, but worth exploring for anyone else having the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well iCal now has a normal icon in my Dock again. I'm not sure why, but here's a couple things I've done since then (for other reasons) that "shouldn't" have had an effect on this, but who knows? Firstly, I removed MacPorts. Whatever it was that I had installed it for, I'm not using it now, so I whacked it. It probably needed updating for Lion anyway. I also disabled Spotlight, deleted the index, then re-enabled it (all through TinkerTool System). I don't know if or how these may have had an effect on the icon thing, but worth exploring for anyone else having the problem.

I removed MacPorts (and a ton of other stuff like old Xcode, etc) before I realized that the Mobilebackup was what was chewing up disk space. I was down to 30GB of a 128GB SSD and needed space for a VM and the system to use so I just started deleting stuff left and right. Anyhow, I had the "ghost" aliases on my desktop both before and after removing MacPorts and Xcode 3.x and 4.x. I haven't experienced "ghost" aliases on my Dock, only the Desktop, but will pay closer attention now.

ETA: On a side note, apparently disabling Time Machine Mobilebackups via the Terminal as an Admin user is non-persistent.

sudo tmutil disablelocal

I ran it as my user, who is an Admin, and local Mobilebackup stopped and cleared the old local backups (about 20GBs). Upon reboot however, it started back in again. I'll probably enable root user tonight and run the command again as root to see if that makes it persistent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Updated: I ran sudo tmutil disablelocal to disable creation of the /Volumes/Mobilebackups files and it appears to have persisted through 2 reboots now. No new local backups have occurred but backups to my remote TM disk are continuing as they did under 10.6.8. I tmutil as a "normal" admin user (not root) so hopefully the first time that I ran it and it didn't persist through reboot was just a fluke. FWIW: interesting stuff if you run a man on tmutil.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Just found a really weird problem. Found people with similar issues on MacRumors and instead of typing everything again I'll link to that thread.
No log in screen after Lion install - MacRumors Forums
Basically after reseting pram/nvram I got a "blank login" which was there it just wasn't rendering. After loggin in - programs wouldn't render (like firefox, safari on certain pages, finder) Anyway the solution was to go to system preferences -> energy saver -> change from better battery life to higher performance and logout. Everything showed up after logout. It may be an issue with older MBPs that had to log out to switch graphics cards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Regarding the .Hawk issue with fullscreen Mail, I've found out the same. My way around that, is to not click 'new message' on the tool bar but click 'address', then highlight the recipient , then click 'To' at the left top corner. A new compose window will pop up already addressed to the recipient plus the address book window will remain open.

In other words, you pick out the person you are going tot send the email to first. Otherwise the toolbar on the new compose window will remain at default with no 'address' button to click once you have clicked 'new message'. But Apple could have easily kept the tool bar on the compose window at customized instead of reverting back to default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I might have found another 'quirk' of Mail under fullscreen. When in compose window, you have to to right click to highlight a text, or once you right click it would automatically highlight the nearest word, in order to have the 'add link' option available under 'Link'. Then paste the link into the pop up box as usual.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Rolled back to 10.6.8 and.. 5+ hours of battery time again. I'm gonna call this a bug.

Reaction score
on my iMac wired keyboard, the layout shows the number 3 has a £ above it. That used to be got at using a shift and 3. Now I have to use alt and 3, as short and 3 does a #

anyone know how to fix?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources

If US is checked, go re-check British.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Updated: I ran sudo tmutil disablelocal to disable creation of the /Volumes/Mobilebackups files and it appears to have persisted through 2 reboots now. No new local backups have occurred but backups to my remote TM disk are continuing as they did under 10.6.8. I tmutil as a "normal" admin user (not root) so hopefully the first time that I ran it and it didn't persist through reboot was just a fluke. FWIW: interesting stuff if you run a man on tmutil.

Thanks for the update, that's good info to know for people that want to disable that.

I haven't decided if I'm going to do it or not. I normally have my external TM drive hooked up to my MBP when I'm at home so it may not be as much of an issue, plus I have 350GB free lol.

But it's definitely something for people with a smaller SSD or who don't connect their TM much to consider.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.