Using iWeb first time.

Reaction score
I just ordered my new imac on Friday, and I can't wait for it to arrive, and to leave the PC wastelands behind.

1 of the first things I want to set about doing is designing a web site for my wife's new business. I was going to use iWeb, as it looks really simple to use and there are plenty of ways to customise. My question is, once the site is ready to publish, where's a good place in the UK to host, and I've heard there can be issues viewing iWeb sites on a IE, Firefox and Chrome. How true is this?

Thanks, and can't wait to get started on my new machine.:)

C

chas_m

I jI was going to use iWeb, as it looks really simple to use and there are plenty of ways to customise.

Yes, it's a very easy program to use. Fair warning, however: you can't edit an iWeb-made site in anything BUT iWeb, and Apple appear to have decided to let iWeb die on the vine (ie they're not discontinuing it per se, but there is little hope of a new version).

I've heard there can be issues viewing iWeb sites on a IE, Firefox and Chrome. How true is this?

I can't speak for IE (who uses that anymore??), but I've seen no issues with iWeb sites on FF or Chrome.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Chas. Can you suggest any other good easy to use web design programs for the mac that won't stretch the budget too much.

C

chas_m

For people who like the look and feel of iWeb but want something more (and better supported), I'd suggest checking out RapidWeaver. It's $80 but it's often on sale through Mac Bundle offers.

There's also Sandvox and FreeWay, which are similar (template-based, elegant designs, easy to use). The former is more-or-less like Rapidweaver, while the latter is aimed towards people who come to web design via the print world.

I'm sure others will have even more suggestions, but all of them have free trials, so you might want to try putting together a little "test project" with your pre-made assets (logos, pictures, copy, etc) and see which one works best for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.