Video Mirroring

Reaction score
I am connecting my large monitor to my MacBook but the large monitor is not displaying what I see on the MacBook. How do I make the large monitor display the same? I was told to turn on video mirroring but I do not have the arrangement display on my MacBook to do that. How do I accomplish this.
Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Go into System preferences and open the Displays pane. Click the "Arrangement" tab. The Mirror Displays checkbox will be near the bottom. Check it and close the pane.

OP
A
Reaction score
I did go to Display

however, I only have a single display showing and therefore, the arrangement is not displayed. So I cannot see that portion. Any other suggestions as to how to get this accomplished?

OP
A
Reaction score
2nd Request Pleeeeze

:|My MacBook shows that I have a singular display when I open up "Display" to get to the arrangement. However, I cannot see the arrangements to execute the video mirroring. How do I make this happen? Anybody?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Merged threads - please do not crosspost.

If you click "Detect Displays," does it pick up the secondary monitor?

OP
A
Reaction score
Sorry, there is a detect display button, but it does nothing when I click on it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you have a second monitor plugged in properly, OS X should be able to detect it. In fact, it should be able to detect it without having to open System Preferences. How are you connecting your monitor to your Mac?

OP
A
Reaction score
Connection

I bought a micro DVI that is plugged into the MacBook with the larger part plugged into the VGA slot on the back of the monitor. The monitor comes on showing the desktop but not the icons. I have nothing to click on. I can use the mouse on both computers. "Does this help?

C

chas_m

Is it possible that the second display preferences screen could be hiding *behind* the main one? (box behind the box, so to speak)? Trying moving the Display Preferences around.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes. My MacBook is sitting right in front of the large monitor. I will rearrange later and let ya know the results.

OP
A
Reaction score
I made the above corrections and still cannot get the larger monitor's screen to show the same as on the MacBook.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Were you ever able to turn on mirroring? If you successfully turned on mirroring, the external monitor will default to the resolution of the MacBook unless you run the MacBook in clamshell mode. Running in clamshell mode will allow the external to run at its full native resolution.

OP
A
Reaction score
Had to go to the Mac store and got everything running well. Was so simple. I guess the pros were not on this site when I needed them the most.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad you got it worked out. What finally fixed it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Had to go to the Mac store and got everything running well. Was so simple. I guess the pros were not on this site when I needed them the most.

Kind of a insulting reply since folks here went out of their way to help you, don't you think? You have to remember, that we are not standing in front of your machine but have to rely on your description of the problem.

Now have the courtesy to reply to the forum describing what the "Pros" did to resolve things for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.