New Mac Book Airs

Reaction score
**i want to buy a new mac book air, but before i want to know if it worth buying the 13" 1.8 GHz core i7 one. Because i found a mac book air 2010 same thing online but 2.13 GHz core 2 duo. I wanted to see if 1.8 GHz i7 can actully bit 2.13 GHz core 2 duo????? Please let me know guys if you know that [can a 1.8 GHz core i7 be better than 2.13 GHz core 2 duo, and why]??i want to get one really soon.
Thanks;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, it can be much better. I'd been waiting for it with anticipation ever since Intel announced these chips about 3 weeks ago and ordered one yesterday.
Need to remember, clock speeds can only be compared within the same line any more. There are a lot of other things that go on to making CPUs faster.

1. The instruction set is going to make it faster than any C2D at similar clock speeds.

2. It is a hyper threaded chip - meaning it will process 4 threads in comparison to the C2D 2 threads.

3. It has turbo boost up to 2.9Ghz for additional power when needed.

Notebookcheck.net would be the place to see Benchmark scores. They don't have them yet, the chip is too new. Their initial placement of the i7-2677M has it ranked at 57th place, while that C2D is sitting at 134th.

Benchmark's don't tell you everything about CPUs, and Geekbench is probably the worst of the benchmarking tools, they'll give you at least an idea.
Here's one for this new 1.8.
Here's one from last years MacBookPro 2.8 Ghz hyper threaded chip.
Now here are some scores from last year's C2D MBA.

Compare for yourself.

Reaction score
It's too bad they max out at 4gig RAM and 256gig HD. I suppose they want a clear distinction between the MBP and Air line of products. Limiting RAM especially makes it impractical to run another OS in a VM, for example.

Reaction score
Hi,

It's too bad they max out at 4gig RAM and 256gig HD. I suppose they want a clear distinction between the MBP and Air line of products. Limiting RAM especially makes it impractical to run another OS in a VM, for example.

I think the 8GB is both dictated by space limitations and by marketing: the Air being the entry model, it cannot be equivalent to machines that are pushed as "main machines" because that would stop the sales of those higher spec machines. I would really have liked the 8GB for future proofness. The 256GB SSD isn't a problem for me, as I have another machine with lots of storage. The Air would just be a couch potato machine.

Peter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Yes, it can be much better. I'd been waiting for it with anticipation ever since Intel announced these chips about 3 weeks ago and ordered one yesterday.
Need to remember, clock speeds can only be compared within the same line any more. There are a lot of other things that go on to making CPUs faster.

1. The instruction set is going to make it faster than any C2D at similar clock speeds.

2. It is a hyper threaded chip - meaning it will process 4 threads in comparison to the C2D 2 threads.

3. It has turbo boost up to 2.9Ghz for additional power when needed.

Notebookcheck.net would be the place to see Benchmark scores. They don't have them yet, the chip is too new. Their initial placement of the i7-2677M has it ranked at 57th place, while that C2D is sitting at 134th.

Benchmark's don't tell you everything about CPUs, and Geekbench is probably the worst of the benchmarking tools, they'll give you at least an idea.
Here's one for this new 1.8.
Here's one from last years MacBookPro 2.8 Ghz hyper threaded chip.
Now here are some scores from last year's C2D MBA.

Compare for yourself.

While I agree that the new i5 and i7 chips will be a huge improvement, the ULV chips in the MBA have Turbo Boost and Hyper Threading disabled, from what I have read. I will confirm on Thursday.

To the OP, The C2D came out in 2006, so you are essentially investing 90% the same amount of money in five year old technology. I think going with the latest revision is a good idea. The 13" now comes standard with 4GB of ram and I don't recommend 2GB for OSX under moderate use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.