Macbook Air (Summer 2011) or Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Can't decide between a 13'' summer 2011 Macbook Air or a new 13'' Macbook Pro.

All I use the computer for is web surfing / paper writing. Is one better than the other for this? I know the SSD on the air is smaller, will this impact surfing performance.

Also care about overheating, but currently use SMC on my Pro so I'm hoping I could use it on the new one.

Don't care about price (or the need to purchase a super drive for the Air).

Any advice/input would to help with this decision would be greatly appreciated!!

C

chas_m

You don't have to care about overheating. Macs don't overheat unless they are defective, and if that happens they shut down.

Macs use the metal bodies of the machines themselves to dissipate the heat as much as possible, so they can FEEL quite warm sometimes. But that is not abnormal, it is indeed exactly the opposite. It is for this reason that Macs are SO. MUCH. QUIETER. than Windows machines, and rely on the fans far less.

As for your choice, you sound like a general-use user and thus I'd say the MBA, being the lighter, cheaper and newer of the two, should suit you perfectly. Unless there's some use you haven't revealed that would require either some feature or some graphical ability the MBA can't handle, I'd say go with the newest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 2011 17 sandybridge
I agree, the air will be a very well suited machine. I love mine!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.