Magic mouse or track pad w/lion

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been discussed , but couldn't find a lot of info.
I upgraded to lion and I want to take advantage of the touch gestures. I'm running a MB pro w/ external monitor . I prefer a mouse to a trackpad. But is the magic mouse a good option? Does installing magicprefs help make it a more relavant device ? Or is the trackpad the way to go with lion? I would love input from people with experience with both

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would say the trackpad is simply great for finder navigation and web browsing.

But I admit that when using Office or Adobe apps I always have a mouse at the ready.

OP
T
Reaction score
I agree, I prefer a mouse to my macbook trackpad ( but I do like my trackpad and multitouch when I use it).

Im just looking for peoples opinion in terms of functionality. Does anyone feel that the magic mouse is much inferior to the trackpad? I have played w/ both some in the store and kind of liked the magic mouse. I have a friend who has it and hates it bc he says it seems to not work all the time.
I would think that the lack of gestures could be improved with magicprefs.
Overall I like the better control of a mouse but I don't want to sacrifice the gestures either

OP
T
Reaction score
Well I went to Best buy to play with them, and they had no trackpad out, and the computers were still running snow leopard. I downloaded magicprefs, and tried it. I liked the magic mouse, only problem was the 3 and 4 finger gestures only worked maybe 60-70 percent of the time. Maybe theres a learning curve to it. Im leaning more to the trackpad at this point. I figure I have a mouse I can use if I need it and the touch gestures on the trackpad would be nice for everyday browsing etc. I just don't want to regret it bc I do like using a mouse much more

Reaction score
Have to agree with the above posts, I use the track pad 60% of my time, It fits perfectly into my workflow as a photographer. But there is still a place for the mouse I tried my partners Magic Mouse but went back to my Logitech 'Ortho' mouse it was originally designed for Gamers. Love it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I no longer use a mouse. Ever. I use a magic trackpad and a wacom (a mouse in Photoshop sucks after using a tablet). That being said, the magic mouse does, at least, support many more gestures.. if you use them.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I use a mouse at work on my Windows machine and bought a Magic Trackpad tp replace my mouse at home.
No way would I go back!
Only wish I had a trackpad at work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.