lion on dvd

Reaction score
new to mac. with all the upgrade hype, and some issues, can you get the new os lion on a dvd?... is it only on a download now?.... I get the upgrade for free, only 1 week into the mac system, got information to get lion for free, but not sure about loading it yet... never loaded anything onto this machine yet, and thought maybe if I had it on dvd I could wait before I install but get it for free now... any way to get it on dvd?.... Dennis

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It isn't available on DVD at the moment. It is supposed to become available on a flash drive next month but I have not seen anything which says whether or not those qualify for the free update or not.

The alternative is to create your own boot DVD from the download. There are numerous sets of directions for doing this including How to make a bootable Lion install disc or drive | Operating Systems | MacUser | Macworld. There is one error in the directions. When the download finishes do not start the installation just yet. Follow the rest of the steps first because that file gets deleted when the installation is finished.

BTW: Welcome to the board and congrats on the new Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
Ah, someone who's seen it would know better than me, but App Store should download a .dmg file I believe. Just keep that until you're ready to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.