Macbook Pro computer name problems

Reaction score
I have had my macbook pro for about a year and a half and it was originally my cousins but he gave it to me. I am now on Lion. I have been using it and i have a lot of songs and pictures and stuff like that on it. What the problem is that his name is still on the computer. The computer name is still his name. Now i know the only way to change the name is to do a clean install. I did a clean install and when i used time machine my information didn't come back. Maybe because the name of the computer is different? What can i do? I really hate having his name on my computer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
System Preferences > Sharing

Computer name is right up top.

OP
J
Reaction score
whoops thats not what i mean then. What i need to change is the name thats next to the house in the finder. The only what to change it is to do a clean install!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That should be the user name. Create a new user, make that the administrator.. move all your stuff over there and when you're comfortable.. delete the old one.

OP
J
Reaction score
No its not the user name. Its completely different. My user name is my name but that name next to the house is my cousins name. It is really getting irritating!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The name next to the "House" on the side menu bar is the user name. What name do you log on to the computer with?

OP
J
Reaction score
its not the username. There is a different name for it. I log into my mac with my name but next to the house is my cousins name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You mean like this? If so, I just created a user 'test'. This is logged in as that user.

Screen Shot 2011-07-23 at 10.55.29 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's username. Specifically it's the Account Name.. when creating the new account.

Try it. Create an account and see if that changes. If so, there's your answer. If not..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-23 at 11.00.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-23 at 11.00.05 PM.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 8
OP
J
Reaction score
Ok so maybe when i got the computer from my cousin i never created a new account i just changed the name?

OP
J
Reaction score
Actually i think theres a difference between the Computer name and the Username. I think my computer name is the thing I'm looking for.

OP
J
Reaction score
So all i need to do is transfer ALL my stuff to another account... So how do i do that?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.